ssnyder77

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hello,

I recently built this system:

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Intel Core I7 960
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

After assembly the power button seemed to be acting up because the computer would start and shut off immediately. I thought it was a short so started looking around. Ended up unhooking some things and it powered up, shut off right away, then booted up by its self. Hooked components up one at a time and had multiple failed starts. I can do restarts all day long and have no issues. It only happens when I use the power button to boot up. Subsequent power on's had about a 90% failure rate. Researched the computer case and found it to have issues with the power button and replaced it with the Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. I have only booted it up once installed in the new case and I had the same issue. It starts, shuts off right away, then starts again automatically. Restarts still work ok, but I am afraid the MOBO will get fried one of these times so I am hesitant to shut it down now. Would the power supply be the most likely culprit in this case? Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks

ssnyder77

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I looked at the checklist of common problems already. This situation seems unusual. The computer shuts off right away after power on, then powers back up within 2-3 seconds by its self. If the MOBO was shorted I don't think it would start at all. I tried a different power cord, but I don't have another power supply to test in it. I already RMA'd a case, I would rather not lose out on more money sending back the PSU if it isn't the problem. Anyone else have any suggestions?

ssnyder77

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Ok, I borrowed a friends Rosewill PSU that has been running a similar build to mine for a few years. And, to no avail. The computer still boots and shuts off within a second or two, and then reboots in about three seconds after that. So now that I have ruled out the PSU I am stumped :(

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Then that means your poor choice for a PSU has damaged your motherboard. Rosewill is also NOT a good choice for a PSU. I'll reiterate here "Never skimp on a good PSU by: Corsair, Antec, XFX, PC P&C, Silverstone/Seasonic, newer OCZ, or Enermax/Lepa (rebadged enermax). As a cheap PSU can, and will destroy your other components." You assembled a good system, with a bargain bin PSU (and are paying the price).

ssnyder77

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I figured out my problem. I had to make an adjustment to my memory in the BIOS. I didn't think this would be necessary because the memory I used is listed by Gigabyte as compatible with the MOBO. It is starting up fine now.