There's Power, but no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdog

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I am currently breadboarding. The problem is no led lights on the motherboard go on, no display on the monitor, but all fans work. The mouse and keyboard all light up and the dvd drive works. I'm thinking it's a faulty motherboard.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-3570k
Gigabyte z77-d3h
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Antec HCG 620w
Hyper 212 Evo

Solution
remove everything from the motherboard except CPU/RAM/CPU power cables/Motherboard Power Cables.....then remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and try to boot with the display hooked up to the onboard.....if that doesnt work remove all but one stick of ram and try to boot with that...if that doesnt work replace that stick of ram with a different one until you have gone through them all. once you do all of that and its still not booting report back....also has this board ever worked or is this a fresh build?

drums101

Distinguished
remove everything from the motherboard except CPU/RAM/CPU power cables/Motherboard Power Cables.....then remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and try to boot with the display hooked up to the onboard.....if that doesnt work remove all but one stick of ram and try to boot with that...if that doesnt work replace that stick of ram with a different one until you have gone through them all. once you do all of that and its still not booting report back....also has this board ever worked or is this a fresh build?

Solution

drdog

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I tried your solution drums101, and it works! Thank You! I did however forget to remove the CMOS battery though. Would that still be a problem? Also both of my ram sticks work, both work alone and together. And yes this build is fresh. I just don't know why it didn't work in the case though. Also the power leds do not go on still, any thoughts on that?

drums101

Distinguished
for the power LED's (you mean the case LED's?) make sure that you have the + and the - hooked up correctly you may have them switched...if you didnt take out the CMOS battery and its working then there is no worries. good deal with the RAM that means the issue was not the ram if both work together

Status
Not open for further replies.