Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i upgrade my gpu

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2011 4:48:01 AM

i am currently running onboard video chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200. i dont play games nor i plan to in the future. should i upgrade? all i do is browse and watch movies , netflix etc.. i saw this card http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... . would it make a huge different ?

More about : upgrade gpu

a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2011 5:13:09 AM

I don't think you will see any improvement in your peformance.. that one only has 8 cuda cores.. if it was like 16.. then maybe you will find a little improvement.. for this price can't you grab a 5450 or 6450? They should be no more than $50..

Between those two.. I think you're better off with the onboard graphics.. Typically any transition from integrated to discrete graphics will show good result but those are really low end :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2011 7:39:06 AM

You may see a small performance gain for the system if you fit a graphics card , At the moment graphics is using some of the system memory [ RAM] and that would be freed up.
I have just fitted the geforce 210 to a computer. Its working well . Good case fans would be important since it doesnt have its own fan .
The radeon is a more natural pairing for the AMD motherboard you have , but not worth the extra cost for your usage
m
l
August 16, 2011 7:47:03 AM

so basically just stick with my onboard hd 4200? even if i upgrade i wont see any difference on watching movies from netflix , dvds and blurays? just curious .
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2011 7:49:55 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caic... This is the benchmark.. if you want cheap directx11 then the 6450/5450 will do you good.. if you don't care I would go for either a geforce 210 or 240.. they are usually dirty cheap after MIR..

Onboard graphic is enough to for an htpc.. you will be fine watching movies/music/streaming [as long as internet is decent].. just the money
August 24, 2011 4:10:27 AM

Best answer selected by blud7027.
m
l
!