Sep 10, 2009
First of all, my PC specs.

Processor = i7 920 d0 clocked at 4.00ghz

Ram = VIPER 6GB 1600mhz 9-9-9-28

PSU = Corsair ATX 1200

Mobo = Gigabyte EX58 UD5

HDD = Samsung 7200rpm 1tb

GPU = 6970 X2 in Crossfire

Ok so this issue has been annoying me for months now. At first I thought it may be the drivers but I have tried all of them from 11.1 (now on 11.5 with hotfix). Everytime I go into some certain games with crossfire enabled I get these weird white lines moving down the screen (horizontal lines). They arn't distinct but they kind of pulsate down the screen. This has happend with games like Duke Nukem Forever, when I open the steam cloud on various games like BFBC2 I have also noticed I can see the lines appear when I look at a shadow or dark corner in a game.

These "white horizontal lines" disappear when I turn crossfire off which is rather annoying because I wish to use both cards obviously.

I have swapped my crossfire bridge for another one but to no avail. Weird thing is when I enable AMD overdriver and turn the voltage down (-20%) for both cards the pulsating white lines are hard to notice but they are still there.

Maybe a refresh issue with my monitor? (ASUS VH226 60hz).

I also get white lines around objects (where the AA should be taking effect) in BFBC2 sometimes which is rather annoying.

If I have missed some kind of information that you need please let me know and I will respond.

This problem is bugging the hell out of me, possible RMA? :fou:

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

I'll try, but if there is anything else to try can you let me know?

It's just hard to get a hold of another monitor at the moment.... :(

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
hmmmm well you could try each graphics card you said its fine using one so try each one separately erm cables? maybe different cables or is it getting enough power? what psu you using?

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

1200 corsair ATX.

Think the psu is enough lol.

I will have to swap some cables around.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea, your PSU should definitely be more than enough. I agree with disaster though in trying to make sure it's not the monitor. Have you tried a refresh rate aside from 60hz? I see your monitor is a 1080p 22" monitor. My monitor has a 59hz option at 1920x1200, not sure if your's does. You could also try other resolutions like 1680x1050 and see if you can find any resolution/refresh rate combo that doesn't produce the white lines.

Also, you mentioned AMD Overdrive earlier. Do you know if it's always enabled? Even if you keep it default settings, is it usually still enabled? I know some people have had varying issues with just having AMD Overdrive enabled, not sure if any of those issues were in crossfire mode though.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Well I have to go to work at the moment. I will check if my monitor has a 59hz option I know it goes upto 75hz but the res is 1280x720.

I'll keep you posted on the results tonight.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Ok, I just had a quick go of changing the refresh rate before I go to work, I changed it to 75hz and the white lines were still there. Tried 59hz and the monitor just reset to 60hz.

I have a feeling it has to do something with the cards voltages in AMD overdriver, I have tried doing the manual volt tweak in the ATI config file and nothing changes.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
i just realized i understand what your going through i think :) before i had a 5770 and with it on certain monitors i would get lines going down the middle of the screen not hugely noticeable but annoying and didnt see read your psu bit oops but yeah with that card i had problems with some screens plus the same with this one it might be that you may not notice it with the single card but 2 the monitor doesnt agree with so if its the problem i had its a huge possibility that it could be the monitor plus with the other 2 monitors i tried with even with changing the refresh rate didnt work :/ but got 3 others that work fine so if you gewt a chance try another monitor or maybe a tv?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Why are you using such a resolution with that monitor? I guess just try different resolutions and refresh rates. As you go higher resolutions though you'll probably be limited to 60hz as the only refresh rate, unless you have 59hz available then. Definitely try that and unchecking AMD Overdrive in CCC if you haven't been doing that already.

EDIT: My bad, the last 3 posts happened while I was typing this one.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Seems like I will have to try a new monitor, tbh I was going to get a new one anyway. I will try and get BenQ 24". Also arson I was just saying that resolution can only be used with 75hz (the max resolution) I usually use 1920x1080.

I hope to Christ this is a monitor issue and not faulty card(s). I'll try and lend a monitor off someone soon to test it out.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Oh ok, lol I was just making sure, sorry. Apparently people had similar problems with 5870's in CF in BF:BC2 according to some posts I found in the AMD Game Forums. Some people claimed they were able to get rid of the lines by not using the CF profiles from ATI/AMD. I've never used CF so I don't know anything about changing/configuring profiles. You could try that.

Here's the thread: http: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=130647&enterthread=y Is it the same as your problem?

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
try with your tv if you have a 1080p one and at the resolution 1280x720 the lines if its the same as i tested earlier with the monitor were worse than before?

Are you sure these are faint "white" lines? Could it be screen tearing? With crossfire, tearing happen a lot more as you are getting FPS beyond the refresh rate of your monitor.

Try using v-sync and let us know if it still happens.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

This is exactly the same problem I have :(

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Have you tried not using the CF profiles that come with the drivers/CCC? Not sure how you manually configure the settings.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Nope, I have no idea how to yet, I will look about the net for a solution :p

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
antialiasing white lines and white spots are known in medal of honour and bfbc2.
its a common bug.
i get it in moh with my gtx 480 but its not terrible.

Oh thank Christ, thought it was just me. At least that isn't a problem. Just to sort this weird pulsating line issue.

Will try it on my HDTV on Friday.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Ok the situation has become worse, I have noticed in almost every game when I enable crossfire the screen flickers, no pulsating white lines just a flicker, it becomes very noticeable when I open my steam overlay in games.

Not texture flickering or anything, you can see that the screen is just flickering brighter and then coming back to it's original colour.

Now I have tried to plug the DVI into my second card and set my gamma settings the same as the first card, that hasn't worked.

Also I haven't managed to plug my PC into another monitor yet. Am buying a new one next month anyway.