Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$600 Gaming Build first timer

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 16, 2011 5:28:44 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Few weeks


Budget Range: $600 Before Rebates including OS


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet. Want to be in good shape for D3 and be able to play other games on decent settings.


Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drive


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or Amazon


Country of Origin: US


Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I'm not picky. Just needs to last a few years 'til I upgrade.


Overclocking: No


SLI or Crossfire: No


Monitor Resolution: 1024x768


Additional Comments: Just needs to last a few years.



Current idea


Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX, MATX Mid Tower Case with Window RC-310-SWN1-GP (Black/Silver)

Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP x3(for a little bling and additional cooling)

AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3 125W Retail

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Antec EA-650 Green ATX Energy Star Certified Power Supply, Green

BYTECC 6 ft. 18AWG Power Cord w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector – Black Model POWERCORD-6K

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Total if my math is right: $544.02 + shipping

More about : 600 gaming build timer

August 16, 2011 7:54:56 AM

Good idea adding another fan at the front of the case

I'd spend a little more and get a motherboard with a 970 series chip set . The 770 is good but the 970 has USB 3 and support for newer processors AMD will release
Maybe
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-SB950-DDR3-Motherboard-G...

but I like the ASUS evo a little more , even if the price is higher

You also need a hard drive
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:12:47 AM

Yeah, I wanted to make sure the computer will stay cool. I already have a 2TB hard drive ready to be used when I build this.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2011 10:10:12 AM

Check my sig if it helps :) 
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 10:22:00 AM

At a quick glance over your $600 one, wouldn't the 6850 be better? I thought it was higher in the benchmarks and being like $20 cheaper. Looks like I was fairly close to in your build, just a few differences.
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 16, 2011 3:24:29 PM

Pssh, this a joke right?

Intel i3-2100 LGA 1155 Socket $115
ASUS P8Z68-V LE Motherboard $135
XFX 550W POWER SUPPLY: $75 http://www.amazon.com/PRO550W-Wired-Bronze-Power-Supply...
ASUS DVD DRIVE $20
Sapphire Radeon 6850_ $159
G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 RAM $60 (Or 4GB = $30)

Finally: Case of your Choice! $25-75!

Also have $15 rebate...

:)  Gl with the build, and just for the record, the i3-2100 beats the phenom x4 standard clocked, When you overclock the phenom x4 to 4.2 ghz then they give the exact same performance. So the i3 is much better. AND AND AND you can upgrade to IVY BRIDGE in 1-2 years with the Z68 MOTHERBOARD :D  YES ITS AMAZING RIGHT? :D 

Btw, For the Operating System... You can do what most people do :) 
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 12:43:27 AM

Are you kidding me? A dual core? Yes, i3 is good, but he'd be better off with a x4 because of technology utilizing more cores in the future, then the i3 would struggle.

i5 or x6 IMO. :) 
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 1:18:50 AM

Anonymous said:
AND AND AND you can upgrade to IVY BRIDGE in 1-2 years with the Z68 MOTHERBOARD :D  YES ITS AMAZING RIGHT? :D 


You buy an AM3+ motherboard and you can upgrade to ANY AMD CPU for the next half a dozen years without worrying that AMD will kill it off.

YES, AMAZING!
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 4:47:59 AM

Zero_ said:
You buy an AM3+ motherboard and you can upgrade to ANY AMD CPU for the next half a dozen years without worrying that AMD will kill it off.

YES, AMAZING!


I'll look into getting an AM3+ motherboard. I'm just a bit leery with the i3 due to the dual core and a micro ATX motherboard. Thanks for all the input everyone!
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 8:21:26 AM

The i3 will be spanked by the Phenom everywhere

but you really dont need a 6850 for such a low resolution monitor . Unless you are upgrading the monitor you can save money and max out any game with much cheaper hardware
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 7:53:31 PM

Yeah, I do plan on getting a new monitor. I just figured I'll build the computer first. I'm seriously due for a new one now.
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 5:23:17 AM

i3 2100 - $124
H61 based MoBo - $80

i3 2100 beats Phenom II X4 955, 965, 975 BE in gaming. (In almost every game) Clock for clock performance is also better in i3. Its also a 32nm chip which produces lesser heat and consumes lesser power than the Phenom. If you really wanna go with AMD then atleast wait for Bulldozer.

Also, Get a good monitor first before thinking of buying a mid/high end GPU. Get a cheapo one under $70.
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 6:23:38 AM

Anonymous said:
Pssh, this a joke right?

Intel i3-2100 LGA 1155 Socket $115
ASUS P8Z68-V LE Motherboard $135
XFX 550W POWER SUPPLY: $75 http://www.amazon.com/PRO550W-Wired-Bronze-Power-Supply...
ASUS DVD DRIVE $20
Sapphire Radeon 6850_ $159
G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 RAM $60 (Or 4GB = $30)

Finally: Case of your Choice! $25-75!

Also have $15 rebate...

:)  Gl with the build, and just for the record, the i3-2100 beats the phenom x4 standard clocked, When you overclock the phenom x4 to 4.2 ghz then they give the exact same performance. So the i3 is much better. AND AND AND you can upgrade to IVY BRIDGE in 1-2 years with the Z68 MOTHERBOARD :D  YES ITS AMAZING RIGHT? :D 

Btw, For the Operating System... You can do what most people do :) 


What do most people do?
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 11:42:29 AM

If you've got a Microcenter nearby, save some $$

http://www.microcenter.com/

I just got one of these deals, grab the Phenom II x4 840 and a motherboard, you get 40 bucks off the board, and also 40 bucks off the processor. I got the CPU and Micro ATX Gigabyte board for 60 bucks, only paid 20 bucks for 4gb of ddr3 1333. For that, add 35 for a decent case, 20 for a DVD burner, say 60 for a decent power supply. 50ish for a 1 tb hard drive. Then add 100 or so for Windows 7 home premium, and you've only got 350ish into the build.

At that point, for the $$ you've got left, forget the 6850 and grab yourself a 560ti.

In fact, even the micro board I got was AM3+. So meaning if you would grab a deal like that, you could instead of getting 4gb of ram, maybe bump to 8 gb of ram, drop a 560ti in your build, and take one step down on the processor now, but still have an upgrade path to bulldozer.

Edit.. no I don't work for Microcenter or anything, was actually doing a build this week and one of their guys told me about that, so saved me a good bit of $.

m
0
l
August 20, 2011 5:42:25 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
If you've got a Microcenter nearby, save some $$

http://www.microcenter.com/

I just got one of these deals, grab the Phenom II x4 840 and a motherboard, you get 40 bucks off the board, and also 40 bucks off the processor. I got the CPU and Micro ATX Gigabyte board for 60 bucks, only paid 20 bucks for 4gb of ddr3 1333. For that, add 35 for a decent case, 20 for a DVD burner, say 60 for a decent power supply. 50ish for a 1 tb hard drive. Then add 100 or so for Windows 7 home premium, and you've only got 350ish into the build.

At that point, for the $$ you've got left, forget the 6850 and grab yourself a 560ti.

In fact, even the micro board I got was AM3+. So meaning if you would grab a deal like that, you could instead of getting 4gb of ram, maybe bump to 8 gb of ram, drop a 560ti in your build, and take one step down on the processor now, but still have an upgrade path to bulldozer.

Edit.. no I don't work for Microcenter or anything, was actually doing a build this week and one of their guys told me about that, so saved me a good bit of $.


Yeah, I looked at Microcenter but I'm no where near one. Which is depressing.
m
0
l
August 20, 2011 9:07:48 AM

008Rohit said:
i3 2100 - $124
H61 based MoBo - $80

i3 2100 beats Phenom II X4 955, 965, 975 BE in gaming. (In almost every game) Clock for clock performance is also better in i3. Its also a 32nm chip which produces lesser heat and consumes lesser power than the Phenom. If you really wanna go with AMD then atleast wait for Bulldozer.

Also, Get a good monitor first before thinking of buying a mid/high end GPU. Get a cheapo one under $70.



DO NOT believe the simplistic benchmarks you find on anandtech and some other sites .
Some are so ludicrously slanted I suspect they come from intels marketing department
the Tomshardware system builder marathon proved conclusively that you can prove pretty much anything if you benchmark the right way .
They build a $500 i3 system to replace a $500 AMD system using a Phenom 920 x4 . Both systems used a 6850 graphics card . The intel was marginally faster in games at stock clocks and spanked in every other benchmark . Two cores cannot match 4 .
The phenom 955's faster clock speed ,AND THE FACT YOU CAN OVER CLOCK IT FURTHER, mean it will beat the i3 even in games .

But the OP , nor anyone else, should be building with phenom unless they are using an AM3+ motherboard ... and preferably with a 970 or 990 chip set
m
0
l
!