Sign in with
Your question
Closed

KEYBOARD. I don't know what to get!

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2011 9:10:23 AM

Okay so I need a good keyboard for mmo's, diablo 3, skyrim, etc. Not playing too many fps really right now on pc.

So I was thinking just the Razer Lycosa but I heard that the macro keys are hard to reach or something and that people have problems with sticky keys?
The other ones for similar price I was considered were
1. G110
2. ROCCAT Valo ROC-12-801
3. Steelseries Merc Stealth
4.Saitek Eclipse 2 (No extra keys :(  )

Now I like these for the leds and the extra macro keys. That Merc Stealth has a cool little game pad I heard is quite easy to get used to allthough this isn't something I care about because I would probably just buy a separate one anyway...but then if I do...do I really need macros? What do you think.
If I don't need macro keys that would open my doors a little more...I'd have a gamepad so I wouldn't need them right...?
The led is something that I want though for sure. I play in a rather dim lit room and also I'm a girl and I like my things pretty looking.

Now I also know about these mechanical keyboards and did research and I DO NOT WANT the cherry blue's. TOO LOUD, NO THANKS.
I would go for browns blacks or reds? Not sure which is the best for gaming but also for quietness.

I want to know some good keyboards and whether it is worth going mechanical. They are pretty pricey!

More about : keyboard

November 14, 2011 12:12:25 PM

Could you try the Logitech G15 and the G19, they are both good gaming keyboards though the G19 is a bit on the expensive side.
November 14, 2011 12:36:20 PM

I have the original Merc and I love it.
The Z-Engine is a brilliant piece of software (not essential, but nice) as well.
Related resources
November 14, 2011 8:10:52 PM

I own the G110,Lycosa,and MS Sidewinder X4.
I love the Lycosa when it works,already had to rma it.
Bought a G110 and never bothered to hook up the Lycosa again.
Logitech makes solid,reliable products.
Can't say the same for Razer,bought a Deathadder mouse(same time as Lycosa) and it also had to be returned for a replacement.
I'll never buy their products again.
I've never had a problem from Logitech or Microsoft peripherals and some of my mice and kb's are well over 10+ years old.

Best solution

November 14, 2011 9:17:42 PM

l0ckd0wn said:
I have the Cyborg v5 and the Sidewinder x6.

Reason I have both:
Bought the X6 as a replacement gaming keyboard (and to get backlit keys) and everything was going fine until I spilled a full glass of water on the keyboard. I unplugged it immediately and tossed it aside, thinking it was dead. I bought the Cyborg and used it for about 2 weeks before I got the X6 back out to see if it still worked. Miraculously it did, so I went back to using it because I slightly preferred it. Also, I'm talking a full 16oz of water that was spilled on the keyboard. I unplugged it almost immediately, but I fully expected the keyboard to die - I still have 100% functionality with no degrade of features! Here is my comparison:

MS Sidewinder x6:
  • Great backlit keys (with adjustable level of light)
  • Slim, comfortable design with built in palm rest (although key touch is not as nice as others, including Cyborg)
  • "Gamer" designed for multiple key press recognition
  • WASD keys marked (not well enough IMO) for finding keys without looking
  • Media Keys and programmable buttons through their very intuitive macros system (including ability to disable Win, other keys during game playing)
  • Keyboard is program aware and has 3 separate settings configs
  • Detachable num-pad is great for when you need it, gets out of the way when you don't
  • Very durable and appears to be water resistant (My own personal experience)
  • Matches the Sidewinder x8 Mouse (:p )
  • Does require Intellitype software by MS although their support on their gaming products has been awesome over the last few years.

Saitek Cyborg v5:
  • Great basic keyboard layout with comfortable keys (prefer the keys on this keyboard over the X6, but it wasn't enough)
  • Full keyboard with num-pad (non-detachable)
  • Basic media keys for volume, etc.
  • Backlit keys with adjustable light inensity
  • "Gamer" designed for multiple key press recognition
  • Simple solution with true plug-and-play functionality (no drivers needed)

I've never owned one of the Logitech or Razer keyboards but I've used both companies mice quite extensively. After considering the Logitech for quite sometime, I deemed the price to much for what was offered. I found the X6 and Cyborg (v5) far less for similar features (more so on the MS X6). After my experience with both Logitech and Razer's mice, I found their quality quite lacking (I went through 4x Logitech G5s - cord issue, and 3x Razer Diamondbacks - similar issue to the Logitechs). Since then I've switched to wireless gaming mice - MS X8.

On a separate note, I also liked the OCZ Illuminati Keyboard but it suffered a similar fate as my Sidewinder X6 (spilled water) but unfortunately it did not make it. I really liked the backlit design and the keyboard was pretty comfortable with the built in palm rest. One of the major downsides was the chicklet keys over the standard key feel leaving it more like a laptop keyboard than a desktop keyboard. The color modes were nice going between blue and red, but it didn't have any real bearing on usability, except when used in the dark of course.

• I just did a small write up on the MS Sidewinder X6 and the Cyborg v5 HERE.
    November 14, 2011 9:31:02 PM

Grab any keyboard you like for regular pc use and then grab a Nostromo Speedpad Tournament Edition for yor gameplay. Your fingers will thank you.
    November 18, 2011 6:38:37 AM

l0ckd0wn said:
    I just did a small write up on the MS Sidewinder X6 and the Cyborg v5 HERE.

The MS Sidewinder X6 cannot change the colour of the lighting right? Otherwise I would get this keyboard, it seems to be super promising but my tower has blue lights so I want it to match : (

That OCZ keyboard looks nice, no macro keys though however I guess if I get a gamepad or whatever I won't need that.

popatism, you know you have a good point, with one of those it won't even matter.

April 11, 2012 10:10:26 AM

tinywolves said:
    Okay so I need a good keyboard for mmo's, diablo 3, skyrim, etc. Not playing too many fps really right now on pc.

So I was thinking just the Razer Lycosa but I heard that the macro keys are hard to reach or something and that people have problems with sticky keys?
    The other ones for similar price I was considered were
    1. G110
    2. ROCCAT Valo ROC-12-801
    3. Steelseries Merc Stealth
    4.Saitek Eclipse 2 (No extra keys :(  )

Now I like these for the leds and the extra macro keys. That Merc Stealth has a cool little game pad I heard is quite easy to get used to allthough this isn't something I care about because I would probably just buy a separate one anyway...but then if I do...do I really need macros? What do you think.
    If I don't need macro keys that would open my doors a little more...I'd have a gamepad so I wouldn't need them right...?
    The led is something that I want though for sure. I play in a rather dim lit room and also I'm a girl and I like my things pretty looking.

Now I also know about these mechanical keyboards and did research and I DO NOT WANT the cherry blue's. TOO LOUD, NO THANKS.
    I would go for browns blacks or reds? Not sure which is the best for gaming but also for quietness.

I want to know some good keyboards and whether it is worth going mechanical. They are pretty pricey!

Also worth considering is the logitech G510..... Not facing the windows problems other keyboards including the G19 are due to usb issues(driver problems w x58 chipset and isb keyboards...probably voltage)....I too am looking for a keyboard and have narrowed my selection down to the G510 and M Stealth..... When comparing form vs. function the logitech wins in the form department(pretty enough for miss america) as it has almost any color while stealth has only 3... Stealth can make any key a macro and with over 30 additional keys plus the entire keyboard and unique gamer profiles presets(don't have to spend time on macros as can just switch to presets, its a home run...... It's ideal for learning about macros and commonly used ones for games.....

It's macros blows away that of the G510's 18 x 3 macro set(with ingame macro changes....nothing to laugh at).....510 also has chatscreen on keyboard options....saving ui space....Either one has more than enough......

Just think of a macro that switches stance and uses stance specific spell with one button press(you can play a multi stance character in a whole new way)..... no lag or lost time = improved dps... or combo sequence you could rarely pull off successfully becoming instant and easy.... I know the stealth will program multiple button presses and allow a pause between presses......so thing about programming those ultimate combo's......G510 should doit too but I'm not sure...... Hope this helps

The only downside(ok one of them) to the Stealth is its not mechanical..... but claimed to be more durable.... The 510 is supposed to have one of the fastest response time for a keyboard... But then the stealth is a wired keyboard ....so its hard to say..... The G510 and Stealth are almost the same price, but with the G13 gamepad(for $60... like it better then the razer) to accompany a keyboard cost is a little higher. Don't know your budget

Sorry for being long winded..... just really interested in function and might just try both lol...

P.S. another interesting item is the cideko conqueror..... still new so we'll see but its a mouse, videogame controller and keyboard in one..... just thought it was worth mentioning since you seemed interested in a gamepad....Been checking out joystix.... good luck and hope to see you ingame
    April 16, 2012 10:38:32 AM

Best answer selected by tinywolves.
    April 16, 2012 3:52:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    !