Intel Dq965gf lga775 Help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

copyninja

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
hello,

Im having some difficulties with an Intel dq965gf motherboard, if anyone has any advice/help on this matter I would greatly appreciate it..

well.. the problem all started when i let the IT guys at my dads office replace the motherboard in my system...First and last time ill evr let anyone else choose hardware for me...moving on.. Ever since i Got this motherboard ive been having issues... to the point where now i feel like smashing my keyboard on the monitor ....

Since day one, upon booting i would get some wierd post codes and the bios would go into setup, pretty normal i thought, but after saving and restarting i would get this black screen with a message telling me to "turn power off and restart jumper in normal position" .. or sumthing like that ..
I searched online,downloaded the manual, and i tried all the steps it said, but to begin with i never moved the jumper, and it always was (and is) in the correct position. I tried some strange ritual of removing battery, changing jumper positions back and forth, n all that, but still on booting it would give those post numbers at the bottom right of the screen, and go into bios setup... (in my last motherboard all i had to do was plug/unplug battery n i was set..)

Randomly if i turned the power off directly from the psu switch,wait 5 seconds and hit the psu back on, the pc would boot and instead of giving the "BA" code on Boot it would show a "0" and the system would finally boot off the hard disk instead of going into the bios... i discovered this little trick after restarting the pc several times... scared the pc would give that annoying message again,, i never turned the computer off,, literally ,, it would sometimes turn off, and sometimes boot and go into bios and give the whole jumper message, but i knew i could get it to boot, so i never bothered to return the motherboard ,, i just left my computer running all the time..

now around a year later ive bought a new pc and decided to pass on "the curse" to someonelse..(my lil sister wants to play skyrim).. so im making one last attempt to fix this heap of junk ( i figured updating to the latest bios shud fix the problem )... but now it refuses to get past the bios setup.. even if i power on/off,, it goes into bios/ maintenence mode every time i boot.. then gives the replace jumper message all over again and all i can do then is power off the computer manually.. restart it and prey it boots up.. this cycle has been going on all night now... i finally give up.. if i ever see another blue and grey bios screen again.... .....

another problem, seems related is the hardware monitor in bios is not working, ie. it is not showing any temps,voltages, or anything , and because of that the cpu fan is stuck running at full speed.. ( it sounds like a turbine on crack .. )

I also noticed that after i followed the steps of changing jumper to maintenence mode, removing the battery, restoring in default positions, and then when i would boot the bios would still have the previous settings unchanged as if i never reset the bios.

I tried copying the new bios to a usb to boot and flash, but the system goes into bios setup before reading/booting the usb..

Is my bios/motherboard busted or am i doing something wrong?

thanking you for your help,

sincerely,

-copyninja

Solution
( i figured updating to the latest bios shud fix the problem )... but now it refuses to get past the bios setup..
I would agree with you there. My question is, did it actually flash the bios to the latest version or is it still stuck in the old ones?

When you reset the jumper did you power everything down and then do the jumper? You know, pull the power cord out, pull the cmos battery out, push the start button several times for several seconds to make sure all residual energy has dissipated? Looks like you did but I gotta ask. Do you have it on jumper 1 & 2, which is the normal mode? Have you tried it with no jumper to it can try to recover bios? Or do you have it in configure mode position 2 & 3? Which when the jumper...

suteck

Distinguished
( i figured updating to the latest bios shud fix the problem )... but now it refuses to get past the bios setup..
I would agree with you there. My question is, did it actually flash the bios to the latest version or is it still stuck in the old ones?

When you reset the jumper did you power everything down and then do the jumper? You know, pull the power cord out, pull the cmos battery out, push the start button several times for several seconds to make sure all residual energy has dissipated? Looks like you did but I gotta ask. Do you have it on jumper 1 & 2, which is the normal mode? Have you tried it with no jumper to it can try to recover bios? Or do you have it in configure mode position 2 & 3? Which when the jumper is set to configure mode and the computer is powered-up, the BIOS compares the processor version and the microcode version in the BIOS and reports if the two match. Again, gotta ask so I know we're on the same page. It might be that the bios chip is going bad, stuck in a loop. Hopefully the flash should have taken care of that but it's hard to tell.

What processor does it have in it? It might not be on the list and that's why it keeps going back into the jumper message.

Other than that it might be time for a cheap replacement board.

Solution

copyninja

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
hey,
Thankyou for answering,
I downloaded the latest intel bios and used the intel express bios update method. After flashing It gave a message that it did succesfully flash the bios.
I checked the bios version in bios setup and it was updated to the new bios. Im sorry i phrased my sentence wrong, i meant to say that, before flashing the bios, if i would keep restarting the pc ( ie. completely powering it off and then on), the pc would randomly *sometimes go past the bios setup and boot off the hard disk to windows. But after i flashed the bios it does not even do that anymore. Now It completely refuses to go past the bios. After flashing, no amount of restarting was/is making the pc boot past the bios. seems even worse than before now..maybe just a coincidence that its not booting up past the setup again at all after the bios flash..

To my knowledge i did follow all the steps to clear the bios/cmos you have mentioned (including unplugging everything), however i did not press/hold the pc's power button repeatedly a couple of times to dissipate the current. could that really be the case?

The jumper is in position 1-2, im pretty confident that i have it set in the right position as ive matched its position with the diagram in the manual. I have tried it without the jumper as well, and it just seems that the problem is completely unaffected by changing jumper positions. It seems to go into configure/maintenence mode regardless of jumper position.

Ive noticed that hardware monitor and intel management engine do not work as well. Only when they are working will the pc boot past the bios.

The bios/chip definitely seems to have issues..

I decided i would have to let my ego suffer a blow and finally decided to take it to a computer store. I dropped it off today,, will get status by tomorrow. However before leaving the shop gave me some hope, the technnician said that he thinks it could be related to my computer casing not being grounded correctly. He said something about current/grounding on the motherboard could be affecting the bios. Is that a valid assumption on his part? Grounding is an issue, because my pc casing is as dodgy as they come. So regardless i will be getting a new casing.

I know i should not have flashed the bios if the pc was booting normally already {*sometimes}, but i figured might as well, ( southbridge temps really high, i foolishly hoped the bios update would help that, but thats another story..)

This is an old pc i built along time ago. It has a core2 duo e4500. It was pretty solid untill the motherboard fried last year. It was at my parents house so they decided to fix it. When it came back it had a shady looking casing and this wonderful motherboard. Its an intel board,, manufcatured by ipex.tw or something .. till today i could not find the website or the company online..

you mentioned about the bios not detecting the processor, i checked http://processormatch.intel.com and e4500 is on the list.,

I was hoping i wouldnt have to get a new board as the prices are still not cheap for socket 775 boards in my country, plus i just bought a graphics card and some ram (ddr2 more expensive than ddr3 here) for this pc so kinda tite on budget (already way more than i planned to spend on it).. and i would feel bad buying such outdated technology ( its so much more power hungry and hotter than 2nd and 3rd generation intels.. ). selling it is not an option either will probly get nothing for it.. but if it comes to it i guess ill just have to replace the board, cos the e4500 3gb ddr2 and his radeon 7750(which i just got) seem to handle skyrim like a champ,, which is why im rescuing this pc to begin with.

However i hope the shop gives me good news tomorrow..

will let you know how it goes..

and thankyou very much for the help, appreciate it :)

-copyNinja

suteck

Distinguished
Yeah, I hope they can help too. The grounding could very well be the issue. If so that would be great. I checked on prices of the motherboards here also and yes, they are still up in the $50's even for used boards. I think the ram is the same everywhere. I don't understand why the ddr2 cost more but it does here too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out or if we can actually help lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.