Status
Not open for further replies.

marshcorps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have a CM Stacker 830, but I am not sure on how to properly setup the airflow.

I know there is positive and negative airflow in a case, and the case has 8x 120mm fans.

2 Front
1 Back
1 Top
4 Side

What is the best way to setup these fans? Air should flow from one point to another, but it isn't like the airflow in this case will flow from front to back.

Option 1:

2 Front - IN
1 Back - IN
1 Top - IN
4 Side - OUT

This is stupid as the CPU and PSU fans will be messed up by the air coming in from the top and back.

Option 2:

2 Front - OUT
1 Back - OUT
1 Top - OUT
4 Side - IN

Possibly a better option as the side fans will blow the air onto the mobo, and then then other fans will pull the air out. CPU and PSU should be happy. Only issue is having 2x 120mm fans in the front sucking air out.

Option 3:

2 Front - IN
1 Back - OUT
1 Top - OUT
4 Side - IN

I assume the is positive air flow into the case, 6 fans in 2 fans out.

Option 4:

2 Front - IN
1 Back - OUT
1 Top - OUT
4 Side - 2 IN, and 2 OUT

Bit of a weird mix, but I would think the two fans closest to the middle of the case would be IN, and the two near the rear of the case would be OUT. I guess this could be a possible solution.

Are any of these viable? Which is the best? Is there another option that I am missing?

Solution
Here have a llok at this CM Stacker i modded for a friend to give him Bottom to Top Air flow

So

2 x 120 bottom sucking cool air in
2 x 120 front sucking cool air in
1 x 120 top blowing warm air out
1 x 120 back blowing hot air out

Giving good thermal vectoring through hot airs natural ability to rise, positive air pressure keeping alien objects (dust,dirt) out of the case and make sure all cool air in fans are well filtered.

IMAG0214.jpg

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I would pick option 3, you will get positive airflow with this, all the air from the front pushing through the back and top of the system which is good since hot air rises.

I wouldn't even consider option 1 or 2, option 4 could work, but you will get more positive airflow with option 3.

Good luck!

marshcorps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks, I was just wondering if positive airflow would be better than getting the same about of air moving into the case as the air moving out. Sounds like a plan, now I just need to get some proper fans.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Trust me, option 2 is what you need.

I would also recommend Scythe slipstream fans, they push heaps of air at a great noise level (sorry one phone so don't have links).

Good luck.

Uther39

Distinguished
Here have a llok at this CM Stacker i modded for a friend to give him Bottom to Top Air flow

So

2 x 120 bottom sucking cool air in
2 x 120 front sucking cool air in
1 x 120 top blowing warm air out
1 x 120 back blowing hot air out

Giving good thermal vectoring through hot airs natural ability to rise, positive air pressure keeping alien objects (dust,dirt) out of the case and make sure all cool air in fans are well filtered.

IMAG0214.jpg

Solution

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.