Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are the amd fx 8120 good for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2011 11:06:39 AM

I mean they are new generation but are they good for gaming.They have turbo boost,built in gpus ...But are they good for gaming?

More about : amd 8120 good gaming

November 14, 2011 11:17:13 AM

In short: Yes, they are.

Longer version: Yes, but intel and even some of the older generation AMD cards offer better performance.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 14, 2011 11:27:48 AM

Not particularly. Most of the time, the older X4/X6 series offers better/the same performance at a lower price. And both are beaten soundly by SB processors from Intel.
Related resources
November 14, 2011 11:30:47 AM

can't say...
but my phenom x6 is quite awesome...:) 
a c 473 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 À AMD
November 14, 2011 1:46:00 PM

rockxdude said:
can't say...
but my phenom x6 is quite awesome...:) 

As long as you know that games do not benefit from more than 4 cores. Most games don't use 4 cores anyway.
November 15, 2011 3:27:43 AM

jaguarskx said:
As long as you know that games do not benefit from more than 4 cores. Most games don't use 4 cores anyway.

yes, but it's future proof...
in couple of month's they will start using 6 cores...:) 
a c 185 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 15, 2011 5:04:16 AM

rockxdude said:

and then ivybridge will come out :sol: 
November 15, 2011 5:12:02 AM

rockxdude said:

Please, for the millionth time, there is NO such thing as "future proof", Just as there is no such thing as "bullet proof" try "future resistant".
November 15, 2011 7:35:15 AM

amuffin said:
and then ivybridge will come out :sol: 

what's dis...? O.o
November 15, 2011 7:35:42 AM

Homeboy2 said:
Please, for the millionth time, there is NO such thing as "future proof", Just as there is no such thing as "bullet proof" try "future resistant".

yes, this is right word...:) 
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2011 8:37:29 AM

jaguarskx said:

might want to let toms know that secret

Quote:
DiRT 3 takes advantage of up to eight threads, though it’s not clear if it prioritizes physical cores over logical ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-s...
November 15, 2011 10:29:24 AM

From the INQ

"Andre Heidekruger, senior technical consultant for AMD EMEA said "most standard compilers will support FMA4 and XOP instructions", singling out GCC and AMD's own Open64 compiler. Heidekruger confirmed that Intel's compilers do not support the new instructions, which is no surprise since Intel does not support either instruction."

More than speed and core count to consider, and BTW the 8120FX will be right up to speed for gaming, it's no slower than it's predecessors and is a forward thinking design.
November 15, 2011 10:37:56 AM

..and this piece also from the INQ also gives an overall picture as to where things are headed, it refers specifically to server markets, but can be somewhat extrapolated to desktop market to....

"Dell, despite being a fierce rival of HP was singing from the same hymn sheet, with Bryan Jones, executive director of European and Global Data Center Marketing at Dell saying, "customers are looking to extend the life of their investments". Jones was even more blunt, saying, "Our customers can't afford to rip and replace."

The comments from Stephen and Jones come just days after slides were leaked showing Intel's upcoming Haswell architecture, which will require yet another socket. Going back to the present, Intel's latest Sandy Bridge E chips, which Intel will also introduce as 8-core Xeon processors in the near future, also feature yet another socket."
November 15, 2011 11:10:24 AM

jaguarskx said:

not true, for example BF3 uses all my 6 cores on my thuban at 3.8ghz

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2011 2:16:04 PM

But again, core count is only half the equation. The SB line is simply much more efficent then BD. And by the time most software scales to all 8 cores, BD will be replaced by something newer.

There is simply no way to cost-justify buying BD ahead of a PII X6 or SB chip.
!