DDR 500Mhz

G

There are DDR 500Mhz for powerful graphics cards. Why doesn't the industry adopt it for motherboard? DDR 266Mhz will be obsolete after1 year of launch. By that time graphics memory would run at DDR 1Ghz.

I know is main memory is fast, all the relevant BUS have to increase speed as well, but that means new bus architecture, new chipset, new PCI bus, oh then AGP4x would be nothing and there should be AGP10x or so.

Wow, just because the Ram speed increase, the entire system have changed. What a shame!!!!!

Best regards
Fa Cheng CHIN

G

I think it's because of the differences in the demands on the RAM, the voltage, blah blah blah... Essentially, I'm guessing that the concept carries over but that the specifics don't. Don't know too much about RAM hardware just yet though... As for AGP 10X, guess Intel is saying 2003 for now. I think it'll come out a bit sooner though. :)

Charles

PARTYBOY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The answer is quite simple: it's very expensive to manufacture high speed memory.

There sure as hell ARE user servicable parts inside!

G

The reason that they have 500mhz(actually 250mhz *2) DDR SDRAM is because those card makers basically handpick the DRAM chips that can perform that high. Those chips are as high as they can go into the spec's headroom. If DDR SDRAM that performs at that speed was to be used in quantities that regular systems would use, the cost would be insanely high. You're talking $150+ for 32megs, and that's not including how much the price would jump if the demand rose to the amount it would be if they were included in motherboards. That's why those cutting edge Graphics cards cost so much, they usually have the same graphics card as the card that costs $300+ less, it's the memory that's adding so much to the price. There is also the heat dissipation factor, the DIMMs in current motherboards aren't equipped to fit the necessary heatsinks and whatnot.

G

AGP4x is around because origianl BUS is 66Mhz.

When DDR500Mhz is adopted and mobo bus same, AGP will only need to be 2x in order to catch up with future graphics card that runs at 1Ghz.

And if the performance is TRUE to spec then you can truely enjoy the benefit of AGP. You can buy a graphics card with no ram and only use main memory through AGP transfer.

For now, people with AGP4x, will suffer when texture space exceed grpahic card's on-board ram and uses a lot of mobo ram which is slow at PC133 and makes the "bottleneck"

It would be more beneficial to limit texture within the graphic card's on-board RAM only. This way, before the game starts every thing is transfered in at AGP4x, experiencing the mobo slow RAM of PC133 only ONCE.

During game play no more AGP transfer is required because everything is on-board the graphics card already.

This only exclude the texture. The other stuff will still need transfered. bla bla bla

Best regards
Fa Cheng CHIN