I5-2500k RAM compability?

Hi lads,

I have been lurking around the forums for a while and finally iv begun to build my very first pc. Currently all im waiting on is to purchase the CPU and just want to make sure the components i have are compatible with an i5 2500k.

The components i have are:

Motherboard- Asus P8Z68-V PRO
RAM- Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Module 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Unbuffered DIMM

The main thing im not sure about is the RAM iv bought when i checked the intel site for the 2500k data sheet i read Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333 shouldnt 1600 also be mentioned here for my RAM to be compatible. Im almost certain my mother board is compatible as it takes a LGA1155 socket.

Any more info or specs that you need please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about 2500k compability
  1. I would select 1.5v ddr3 at a good price, about $45 for 8 gb. The vengence is a so called "premium" model of ram, but if you compare the timings, they're the same as lesser ram by corsair and other manufacturer's. It's not worth the extra money. I found my 8 gb 1.5v patriot kit for only $23.50 after rebate recently. It has the same timings as the vengence.
  2. Ya i should of shopped around really but time isnt on my side have to have this build completed within the next couple of weeks i already have the ram installed on my mother board and just wanted to know was it compatible before i splash on the most expensive part of my build which is the 2500k.

So in short is 1600mhz compatible?

Thanks for the fast reply.
  3. It's not on asus qvl list, but I would get it anyway if it's rated at 1.5v. One of the 1866 versions was tested, but I'm sure it's too expensive. As I pointed out earlier, only a few models are tested; most will work fine.
  4. Yes it is compatible. The processors controller maxes out at 1333MHz, thats why its not supported on Intel site.

But again :

It is compatible.
  5. standard ram is 1333mhz and size could be like 4 to 8 gb but in dual chaneel so what ever ram you are buying insert in dual chanel like 1 ram in slot one and other in slot 3
    another ram in slot 2 and his pair of ram in slot 4

all second genertaion intel processor suport up to 2200mhz of ram its totaoly on your mobo does it suport high mhz or not it is like a mother board feature like sli or croosfire or usb 3.0 in the same way it is supported by motherboard

take a look at this mobo it support intel 2500k but dont suport ram more then 1333mhz

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67cl.html

now take a look at this it also support i5 2500k and support 2133mhz ram

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#sp

so in end it is supported by motherboard
  6. Thanks. Just ordered an i5 their.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Compatibility Intel i5