Solved

[HELP] Improve Internet speed

How do i bring out my Internets true potential, i am paying for 20megs from qwest, now centurylink, i get it through the phone jack into the modem and through the ethernet from the modem into my pc, the modem is a ZyXEL PK5000Z. i can never download anything faster then 2 mbps ever, Speedtest.net says im get just over 12mbps but its wrong somehow, obviously there got to be something im doing wrong...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1592411770.png
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help improve internet speed
  1. sounds like you're confusing MB (megabytes) with Mb (megabits).
    most ISPs advertise their speeds in Mb/s, but most browsers display speeds in MB/s.

20Mb/s=2.5MB/s
    15Mb/s=1.9MB/s
  2. branden is correct.

Also please take into account usually with TCP/IP requests there is usually about 10-20% overhead when computers talk over the internet.

When you say you can never download anything faster than 2Mb, do you mean megaBYTES,or megaBITS?

If you have a 20Mbit connection with 20% tcp/ip overhead, you should be downloading approximately 2MegaBYTES a second (max speed) - in which those stats are correct if it says you are getting 2MegaBytes from speedtest.net.
  3. Best answer
    20Mb/s=2.5MB/s
    15Mb/s=1.9MB/s

So your speed is Good....You no need to worry,You can also check the speed of the Internet at here www.ip-details.com also in Mbps and MBps
  4. Best answer selected by AkarusaKage.
  5. Also keep in mind that you can't receive packets any faster than the other end is sending no matter how much bandwidth you are paying for.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Modem Internet