Solved

[HELP] Improve Internet speed

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Modem
  • Internet
Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2011 3:27:50 PM

How do i bring out my Internets true potential, i am paying for 20megs from qwest, now centurylink, i get it through the phone jack into the modem and through the ethernet from the modem into my pc, the modem is a ZyXEL PK5000Z. i can never download anything faster then 2 mbps ever, Speedtest.net says im get just over 12mbps but its wrong somehow, obviously there got to be something im doing wrong...

More about : improve internet speed

November 14, 2011 5:22:02 PM

sounds like you're confusing MB (megabytes) with Mb (megabits).
most ISPs advertise their speeds in Mb/s, but most browsers display speeds in MB/s.

20Mb/s=2.5MB/s
15Mb/s=1.9MB/s
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2011 5:26:47 PM

branden is correct.

Also please take into account usually with TCP/IP requests there is usually about 10-20% overhead when computers talk over the internet.

When you say you can never download anything faster than 2Mb, do you mean megaBYTES,or megaBITS?

If you have a 20Mbit connection with 20% tcp/ip overhead, you should be downloading approximately 2MegaBYTES a second (max speed) - in which those stats are correct if it says you are getting 2MegaBytes from speedtest.net.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 19, 2011 4:53:08 AM

20Mb/s=2.5MB/s
15Mb/s=1.9MB/s

So your speed is Good....You no need to worry,You can also check the speed of the Internet at here www.ip-details.com also in Mbps and MBps
November 29, 2011 10:43:31 PM

Best answer selected by AkarusaKage.
m
l
a c 325 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 10:57:32 PM

Also keep in mind that you can't receive packets any faster than the other end is sending no matter how much bandwidth you are paying for.
m
l