Laptop AC power supplies

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 11, 2005 11:15:35 PM

My Acer brick is marked:

AC 100-240v 1.5A
Output 19v 3.42A

I have available an IBM brick marked:
AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
Output 16v 3.36A

How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?

More about : laptop power supplies

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
August 11, 2005 11:15:36 PM

"Jim" <chief_jim@go.com> wrote in message
> My Acer brick is marked:
>
> AC 100-240v 1.5A
> Output 19v 3.42A
>

> I have available an IBM brick marked:
> AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
> Output 16v 3.36A
>
> How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
> Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?

The output voltage of the IBM brick is lower than I'd want to use with the
Acer.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
August 11, 2005 11:15:36 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:35 -0400, Jim <chief_jim@go.com> wrote:

>My Acer brick is marked:
>
>AC 100-240v 1.5A
>Output 19v 3.42A
>

>I have available an IBM brick marked:
>AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
>Output 16v 3.36A
>
>How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
>Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?

If it's 1 (one) volts output difference, I may try it, but 3 is too
much. Up to u.

---------------
If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
and not interested to give your business free consulting.

Thank you.
Related resources
August 12, 2005 3:41:08 AM

Jim <chief_jim@go.com> wrote:
: My Acer brick is marked:

: AC 100-240v 1.5A
: Output 19v 3.42A

: I have available an IBM brick marked:
: AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
: Output 16v 3.36A

: How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
: Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?

The polarity might be different between ground and power on the two
power supplies. If the polarity is the same and it's the same
connector, you could always try it, but I'm skeptical the 16V supply
would work in a machine intended to have a 19V input.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
August 12, 2005 9:04:29 PM

bobb wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:35 -0400, Jim <chief_jim@go.com> wrote:
>

>>My Acer brick is marked:
>>
>>AC 100-240v 1.5A
>>Output 19v 3.42A
>>

>>I have available an IBM brick marked:
>>AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
>>Output 16v 3.36A
>>
>>How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
>>Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?
>

> If it's 1 (one) volts output difference, I may try it, but 3 is too
> much. Up to u.
>

> ---------------
> If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
> please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
> engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
> and not interested to give your business free consulting.
>
> Thank you.

All the responses suggest too much of a difference to be safe. I'll
stick with what I have.

Thanks all.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2005 3:23:30 AM

The difference is relatively large, and there is a very good chance that
it won't work (although I'd guess that there is also a 50% chance that
it might). But in terms of "safety", since you are proposing to use a
power supply with a lower voltage, it would be unlikely to do any damage.

Keep in mind that everything -- both power supplies and the laptop
itself -- has at least a 5% tolerance (that's nearly a volt in this
case), probably a 10% tolerance (2 volts) and possibly as much as a 20%
tolerance (4 volts). There's no way to know for sure how these
tolerances are stacking up, but the fact that the two supplies are
"nominally" 3 volts different isn't definitive. The "16 volt supply"
might put out MORE voltage than the "19 volt supply", or, on the other
hand, the real difference could be not 3 volts but 6 volts.

Jim wrote:
> bobb wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:35 -0400, Jim <chief_jim@go.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My Acer brick is marked:
>>>
>>> AC 100-240v 1.5A
>>> Output 19v 3.42A
>>>

>>> I have available an IBM brick marked:
>>> AC 100-240v 1.3A - 0.7A
>>> Output 16v 3.36A
>>>
>>> How critical are these power requirements? Any standards?
>>> Any risk using the IBM brick with the Acer?
>
> All the responses suggest too much of a difference to be safe. I'll
> stick with what I have.
>
> Thanks all.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2005 3:23:31 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> The difference is relatively large, and there is a very good chance that
> it won't work (although I'd guess that there is also a 50% chance that
> it might). But in terms of "safety", since you are proposing to use a
> power supply with a lower voltage, it would be unlikely to do any damage.
>
> Keep in mind that everything -- both power supplies and the laptop
> itself -- has at least a 5% tolerance (that's nearly a volt in this
> case), probably a 10% tolerance (2 volts) and possibly as much as a 20%
> tolerance (4 volts). There's no way to know for sure how these
> tolerances are stacking up, but the fact that the two supplies are
> "nominally" 3 volts different isn't definitive. The "16 volt supply"
> might put out MORE voltage than the "19 volt supply", or, on the other
> hand, the real difference could be not 3 volts but 6 volts.

IME, computer supplies are pretty well regulated, so it's probably going
to put out something in the near vicinity of it's rating. If in doubt,
it's easily measured.

That said, the computer itself needs *watts*. IOW, if you supply it
with fewer volts than it wants, it's going to try to make up the
difference by drawing more amps. That's gonna make it pretty
unpredictable as to how much current the unit will draw with an
undersized supply...and what the effect of the undervoltage will be on
the computer.

To the OP: what is your issue? Is your supply kaput? If so, ebay is a
wonderful resource for laptop supplies...one of the few places where
it's hard to go wrong on computer parts there. The last time one went
south on me, I had an exact replacement within a week for less than $15.

jak

> Jim wrote:
>
>> bobb wrote:

>> All the responses suggest too much of a difference to be safe. I'll
>> stick with what I have.
>>
>> Thanks all.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop