Linux Killed Ethernet Port?

Veradys

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I've had Ubuntu installed for a few days now and my windows 7 boot. My ethernet port was working fine yesterday and there hadn't been any problems since the installation of ubuntu. I switched to ubuntu yesterday after being on windows 7 and I wasn't connected to a network. So I checked the connection, everything was plugged in. I thought maybe it was an ubuntu problem and switched back to windows. Nothing. It wasn't showing a cable plugged in. So I fired up my laptop to see if I could connect to the network. My laptop had no problems connecting to the network.

Hardware - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131405)

G

In Windows (XP -- you may have to improvise for Win7) go Settings, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if the Network Adapter is listed or yellow flagged as faulty. If so try Updating the driver.

Also have look in the BIOS screens to see if there's anything relevant that might be causing a problem.

Operating Systems don't usually kill hardware, lack of driver may make it look that way.

Veradys

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I checked the device manager before, windows shows the adapter as working correctly, and I checked the bios made sure some key setting weren't disabled. Everything shows the adapter should be working but it just isn't.

G

Well, look on the bright side, pci ethernet cards cost little and should co-exist with the onboard, whether it's working or not.

dealreal

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I have the same problem with the same motherboard.
Although other things can set it off too, e.g. my cats been behind my computer and pulled at the cable and it's come out.

The only fix I've found is to remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds but I'd like to be able to fix it without clearing all of my overclocking settings.

It used to work fine until I bought my new graphics card and hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 on my new drive.

KakapoWired

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
A BIOS update fixed my Intel P55 networking failure with linux kernel 2.6.32..
This update also fixed the "restart" bug as well.
14 BIOS updates from the release of DP55WG mobo..