AndreSC

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I need to get a workstation. Will be using Photoshop CS 5.1 a lot, with relatively large files, eg. scripting processes that merge and average upwards of 30 layers of A2 size 300DPI image data. Also do web development so run local copies of CRM installations and their often large databases on MySQL on a XAMPP. (Yes, when finances allow I'll put down a separate 'server'). Searching through and caching code is pretty important - thus some concern around the hard drives below. Some 3D CAD - but rarely and a little light video editing from time to time.Oh, and no gaming. Reliability is NB.

I'm not clued up on hardware at all, so just a bit nervous about getting something that I may regret later.

I'm leaning towards an HP Z210 Minitower:
i7-2600,
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1.0GB
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333 nECC RAM,
3 x HP 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 7200
Win 7 Pro 64b
3-3-3 HP Warranty

Then I'll probably get 2x HP ZR22w 21.5-inch S-IPS monitors, colour accuracy is very important wide viewing angles useful.

Is the above a decent fit for my purposes. What are the issues options regarding hard drive configuration?

Or should I be starting from 2 x Xeons?

Should I scale back the RAM in favour of 10Krpm hard drives, or a SSD for scratch disc?

I've not been able to find out if the above will allow USB3, though sure I've seenads for the z210 that listed USB3, but maybe that's an add-on.

TIA