Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sound Card for Razer Tiatmat 7.1

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2011 4:33:28 PM

I'm going to be getting one of the new Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headsets ( http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en ) when they are released and I've got a few questions about a sound card.

1) Is it worth getting one?
- Keep in mind that the Tiamat will connect via 3.5 mm jacks.

2) If I should get one, which one should I get?
- I would prefer to keep it under $100 but I'm new to the sound card game so I don't know much about prices/performance/value.

System specs:
Intel i5-2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
HIS Radeon 6950 2GB
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
Samsung 1TB HD103SJ
Cooler Master 750W PSU
Cooler Master HAF 922

Best solution

November 14, 2011 5:32:42 PM

Well, I'm shocked someone actually made a genuine 7.1 headset. I really don't see the point, but I'm interested to try just for kicks...

One can get virtualized 7.1 easily enough via Dolby Headphone, which most soundcards come equipped with...Thats one reason I typically don't recommend surround headsets, as virtualized surround is in some circumstances better for headsets [though thats a very debatable point for some...]

In any case, a soundcard would help quite a bit. In the under $100 range, the best all around bet is the ASUS Xonar D1/DX.
November 14, 2011 9:00:43 PM

Well, I honestly wouldn't pay for a surround sound headset myself but I actually won this in the contest they did so I'm trying to get the best use out of it.

Kinda wishing I'd hopped on Amazon's sale on the D1/DX a couple of weeks ago. They had them down to $30 for one or the other.
November 21, 2011 11:00:40 PM

Best answer selected by everix.
!