Nvidia geforce 210 on intel 946gz mobo

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello,
I have an intel 946gz mobo and i recently got an geforce 210 graphics card of asus make from a friend of mine. i installed the graphics card and started the computer, but there was no display on the monitor.

What might be the problem here? is it a problem with this particular graphics card? or is my mobo not compatible with nvidia geforce 210?

Solution
ok next thing to check is power.

is you power supply 300w or over. does the card require a 6pin power input and does the system beep during boot.

if those are ok then put the 210 in and connect to the monitor to the onboard vga and then boot just to check it not outputting to the onboard. If that doesn’t work then the card may be defective so test it if you have another system or a friend who’s willing to help out

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
yeah there is an onboard graphics module on the mobo. and i m pretty sure that it is switched off, because a have an nvidia geforce 7600gt card and the everything works fine when i boot with 7600gt installed in the pci 16x slot.

now when i try to replace my 7600gt with the geforce210 card, nothing shows up on the monitor.

i m pretty sure that the system boots up , because i can see the hdd activity and all.

darth-stu

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
ok next thing to check is power.

is you power supply 300w or over. does the card require a 6pin power input and does the system beep during boot.

if those are ok then put the 210 in and connect to the monitor to the onboard vga and then boot just to check it not outputting to the onboard. If that doesn’t work then the card may be defective so test it if you have another system or a friend who’s willing to help out

Solution

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
i m beginning to think that my mobo(intel 946gz) can only support pci express 1.0. and the graphics card requires pci express 3.0 ....

am i right?

if thats the case can you guys recommend a pci express 3.0 enabled mobo that is in and around $50 (USD).

really appreciate the help.

thanks

darth-stu

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hi

the gforce 210 is pci-e 2.0 wich is reverse compatible with 1.0 and 1.1 so thats not the issue. if the power and connection are all good then its most likly a defective card. did it work ok for your friend and if so will he let you test it in his system.

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

yes, i have a 550w powersupply. no the card does not require a 6pin power input.
no, the system does not beep.

I hav'nt tried this out. i ll try this...

alright. but i am having a feeling that my mobo supports only pci express 1, whereas the graphics card requires pci express 2 atleast. would that cause a problem ? or should the card still work ?

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

thats good to hear! :)

no he just gave a new card to me. he did not test it in his system. i ll test it in his system and get back.

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

yeah ... but i need to learn cuda as quickly as possible and 7600gt is not cuda enabled.

mintoo2cool

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Thanks guys! you guys were spot on, especially darth-stu and apache_lives! apparently it was a defective piece. my friend and I had it replaced, and everything is working fine now.

Latest posts