Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Memtest shows errors, lots of errors...

Last response: in Memory
August 15, 2012 3:30:17 PM

Hi all,

I recently built a new system and it has been running fine for about a month. About 3 weeks ago(just before i left for vacation) I started getting random BSOD. I got back, and tried updating drivers, sfc /scannow and now memtest. In 4 minutes of running memtest there are 70,000+ errors and still going. I don't even know how I am able to boot into windows and go hours without a BSOD with so many errors. This is my first time running memtest so I wanted to know if it's normal to have so many errors and still boot fine and even use the pc without BSODs some days. Have I found my problem and just need to replace the ram?

Specs:
Mobo: Asrock Z77 extreme4
CPU: i5 3570k
Ram: 4Gx2 Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W
GPU: ASUS gtx 560 ti 448
SSD: Samsung 830 128gb
PSU: Corsair hx750

Best solution

August 15, 2012 4:55:34 PM

I would re-seat the RAM and retest if I were you. Testing the individual sticks might also be a good idea. If you still get errors, you might want to RMA tat RAM, luckily for you they should still be covered.
a b } Memory
August 16, 2012 4:02:38 AM

+1^
Yes, do the sticks individually or you will have a heck of a time knowing which is bad. Maybe you had a lightening strike while you were gone on vacation.
Related resources
August 16, 2012 5:31:55 PM

Yup, I removed 1 of the sticks then ran memtest and no more errors. I switched them to make sure it was the stick not the slot, and confirmed it was the stick. Thanks for the help.

Also funny you would say that clutchc. I just had a lightning strike kill my modem yesterday, so now i have to use my phone to post back. Unlike my modem the pc is connected to a surge protector, so shouldn't that prevent lightning strikes from damaging my components. Do I need to get a UPS for that?
a b } Memory
August 16, 2012 5:39:34 PM

tehace said:
Yup, I removed 1 of the sticks then ran memtest and no more errors. I switched them to make sure it was the stick not the slot, and confirmed it was the stick. Thanks for the help.

Also funny you would say that clutchc. I just had a lightning strike kill my modem yesterday, so now i have to use my phone to post back. Unlike my modem the pc is connected to a surge protector, so shouldn't that prevent lightning strikes from damaging my components. Do I need to get a UPS for that?

The surge protector wll help immensley to avoid lightening damage, depending on its quality. But no surge or UPS protector is 100%. Best to unplug devices when away for entended lengths of time.
August 16, 2012 8:22:23 PM

Best answer selected by tehace.
a c 346 } Memory
August 16, 2012 8:55:10 PM

tehace said:
I just had a lightning strike kill my modem yesterday, so now i have to use my phone to post back. Unlike my modem the pc is connected to a surge protector, so shouldn't that prevent lightning strikes from damaging my components. Do I need to get a UPS for that?

I realize this thread is closed.

While I agree nothing is 100% safe, the UPS will offer better protection with surges, voltage drops, lightning and obviously power outage. However, unless ALL of the input sources are protected you risk damage: Power, NIC, Cable, Modem, etc. Wow I haven't typed 'modem' in a very longtime. Reputable companies (APC) also offer replacement cost protection if their product fails to protect you e.g. PC.
a c 146 } Memory
August 19, 2012 9:03:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!