Overclocking Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme 1GB

kozalaq

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hi All,

I'm new to overclocking and still reading stuff about it. I feel like oc-ing my HD5850 xtreme.
I wonder how much performance can be gained by oc-ing my GPU?

I read that oc-ing gpu uses program such as amd overdrive and msi afterburner.. so which is better?

Do I just increase the core clock and memory clock? how about GPU voltage? Will overclocking damage my GPU?

A lot of noob questions i know. sorry and thanks :)

For actually finding out how to overclock its best you google and read and read thoroughly the tutorials/guides out there.

Unless you do something real bad, you have very little to be worried about. Just keep an eye out for the temps of the GPU once you have overclocked.

But if you are new to overclocking proceed with a little caution that is all.

Hope you PSU is up to it as well.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
As mentioned above, Riva is your best bet. As to how much overclock, that will be very dependant on your individual card, case airflow and ambient temp. The only way to know is to try it and see how your specific card peforms.

Read up on it before you do it so as to not roast your GPU.

kozalaq

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
i just wanna know how much oc-ing will increase the performance of the card. will it give me noticeable fps increments?

can't seem to google any comprehensive oc overview for this card.

kozalaq

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

downloaded rivatuner at first, it says about 'unsigned driver' i guess this is the problem with x64 os. not willing to restart i tried afterburner and oc-ed to 780/1080. this increased the witcher 2 1080p ultra fps from 20ish to 40ish.

should i go further?

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
yes, go further. I've been using Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme for quite some time. I run min 825/1100 without changing the core voltage. After testing it with furmark for 2 hours, my temp max reach 80 degrees celcius (my room temp was 29C) and 77C average. Xtreme is very friendly to overclock. If you want to go with higher voltage, someone is able to pull 1000/1230. (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5830_hd5850/5.htm)