Sign in with
Your question

Trying to make a wireless and wired network work together

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 17, 2011 9:47:19 PM

I have two computers sharing files connected by a wired lan via an Ethernet card.
Both are using XP home sp2 OS and neither of them had any Internet connection.
I wanted to make one of them connect to a wireless printer so I added an Asus USB (wireless) dongle to that machine only.
When first used the dongle sprang into life, connected to a wireless router in another part of the building (also mine, but nothing to do with this network) and downloaded a load of MS updates. Whilst an Internet connection was not really needed on that machine I thought 'all well and good', and proceeded to download MS Security Essentials onto that machine only.
Once the printer software was installed on that computer it connected normally with the wireless printer and printed-out fine.
It was only when I attempted to connect to the other computer via the hard-wired lan that I found that the connection between them was broken.
I am sure that this is something to do with them having different IP addresses, but can I fix it - no?
Any ideas?
:pt1cable: 
Anonymous
January 17, 2011 10:10:57 PM

I guess you remembered to disable firewalls when reconnecting the wired machines ?
January 18, 2011 6:19:27 AM

Sure did, but it made no difference.
Related resources
January 18, 2011 7:09:10 AM

The combination of only XP Home and only SP2 might nor help. Also, ubnless I'm reading this srongly, these two machines are reporting to different networks. If I got that wrong, try running the Network Setup Wizards in both to reinforce the settings.

January 18, 2011 7:38:35 AM

Saga Lout said:

The combination of only XP Home and only SP2 might nor help. Also, ubnless I'm reading this srongly, these two machines are reporting to different networks. If I got that wrong, try running the Network Setup Wizards in both to reinforce the settings.

I did try the network setup wizard with the same result, however you might be right in what you say about them trying to report to different networks. If this is the case have you any idea how to fix it?
January 18, 2011 9:46:22 AM

You say in Post #1 that you are "connected to a wireless router in another part of the building (also mine, but nothing to do with this network)" so I assume your wired network in the same part of the building as the computer.

You need to disconenct the wireless computer from that network and seek out the other, to which the other PC is wired.

January 18, 2011 12:38:27 PM

Visualise two computers in different rooms connected by a wired lan (eithernet connection), the sole purpose of this is for the sharing of data.
Neither computer had an internet connection of any sort.
I purchased an HP wireless printer which I wanted to connect up to only one of the computers.
I installed an Asus wireless dongle onto only one of the two computers which connected well with the printer, (and coincidentially with a wireless router that is situated elsewher in the building, but never used with these two machine). However I immediately lost the hard wired lan connection with the other computer.
This morning I uninstalled the wireless dongle and then the wired connection started to work after I had reset it.
I then reinstalled the wireless dongle making sure that Windows Zero Configuration was used to control it.
The hard wired lan works fine but now the wireless dongle will not connect with either the printer or the wireless router.
Madness!!
January 18, 2011 5:16:06 PM

archemedes said:
Madness!!

Got it now - sorry for assuming two routers were involved but it appears not. What you need to bring that wirless signal from the other part of the building is a cheap router or AP which can be used as a Bridge. Then when the signal is in the same area as the wired LAN, you can introduce that router into the LAN to achieve what you want.

January 18, 2011 5:30:51 PM

Mmm that sounds interesting and well worth a try.
I will give it a shot and let you know the outcome.
Thanks
!