Graphics card only works sideways?

Servos

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm having a rather strange problem with my graphics card and I'm posting here as a last resort before I RMA it.

This problem seems to be solely with the graphics card but here's my specs if it'll help at all:

core i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz
g.skill ripjaws 4gb ram
asrock p67 extreme4 motherboard
asus 23" LCD monitor
PNY Geforce 460 gtx graphics card

So I bought this graphics card around 4 months ago and I notice the temps are getting higher then they used to, so I look and find a coat of dust on it. No problem, I have an air compressor so I take the card out, careful not to harm it with anything that might conduct static electricity and I blow the dust out.

Now when I seat the card back into the slot and start the witcher 2, I notice my frame rate just got completely killed, it went from 40 fps to 5-10. I wondered if it could just be a problem with that game in particular, so I start up Dragon Age II and I notice a not too significant drop in FPS (from 50-60 to 40-50) but then the screen freezes up a couple times and the game crashes.

At this point I know something is wrong with the card, so I turn off the computer and re-seat the card and try starting up the witcher 2 again(with the computer on the ground horizontally), the frame rate turned back to normal so I thought the issue was just with how I seated the card, so I turn off the computer again and put it back into its vertical position and immediately I start having the same problems I had before.

This time I turn off the computer and try a different PCIe slot after cleaning the connectors on the card. It seemed to change nothing so as a final test I put back in my old 8800 gt and it works fine, so I don't think its a problem with the motherboard or PCIe slots. The graphics card still works normally when the computer is on its side, but when I stand it up it starts having these problems again.

At this point I'm really stumped as to what could be causing the problem and looking for any solutions before I RMA this card.

Are you securing the card properly with the screw in the top ? Is your new card heavier than the old one ? I'm guessing the weight of the card is pulling a dry joint loose. To check this, just cut a piece of wood or some such the exact size to fit between the card and the bottom of the case. If when you turn the PC over back to upright and the card runs with this brace in but not when its out then you can be pretty sure this is whats going on.

Mactronix :)