Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

EVGA GTX570 SuperClock vs the world

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 13, 2011 11:55:19 AM

Just something interesting I noticed when having a peek at the GTX 570 line-up. eVGA's normal GTX570 has a 732 ghz GPU, while their SuperClock version of the card runs at 797 ghz. I notice that their GTX 580 SuperClock also runs at 797 ghz. Now am I crazy, or can I get a card very similar to the GTX 580 for $204 less?

Best solution

June 13, 2011 12:17:27 PM

Clock speeds aren't really the best thing to look at unless you are comparing the same card like 2 different gtx 580's.

However the gtx 570 SC does perform pretty close with the gtx 580 in most cases, usually a difference of about 10 fps or less between the two and that is at stock speeds so if you overclock the gtx 570 to around 850-900mhz you can get close to a gtx 580.

The gtx 580 will always have more vram and more cuda cores though.
Share
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2011 2:34:52 PM

I was in a similar situation a couple months ago, and went with the GTX 570 over the 580. Unless the sale to end all sales is going on and a 580 is only 300 bux then go for it. Otherwise, i love my 570 to pieces. I dont think the 580 per dollar is worth the extra 10% performance boost you get over a 570
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2011 2:50:36 PM

From a value standpoint the 580 is not a good value, but neither are any of the high end cards. These are the flashy sports cars of the GPU market- fast and expensive. Get the 580 only if you want the fastest single GPU card. If you're willing to compromise a bit there are other options out there that will offer you better performance per dollar and get you fairly close to that level of performance.

Keep in mind the 580 is OC'able, too. So a 580 with a similar overlock would be significantly faster than the 570 SC
Score
0
June 15, 2011 7:06:51 AM

From the sounds of things, you guys think the 570 is excellent value compared to the 580. The 570 sounds like a good choice!

Do you guys think that the eVGA SuperClock version of the GTX 570 is worth the extra $70? 732 ghz to 797 ghz is quite a bump-up in speed, as I said, it's the same speed as eVGA's GTX 580.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:23:06 AM

fireaza said:
From the sounds of things, you guys think the 570 is excellent value compared to the 580. The 570 sounds like a good choice!

Do you guys think that the eVGA SuperClock version of the GTX 570 is worth the extra $70? 732 ghz to 797 ghz is quite a bump-up in speed, as I said, it's the same speed as eVGA's GTX 580.

I purchased an OC'ed version of MSI's 570 with reference design - and if it wasnt for me knowing what the hell i was doing, I would have RMA'd it like the dozens of others that bought it. Voltage. Keep an eye on it. It was a bad MSI mess up not setting the voltage high enough causing the cards to crash within seconds of loading a game, but as far as the clock speed - yeah it is amazing once you figure out stable voltage levels. But that one is EVGA which i woudl assume with their rep wouldnt do such a thing as load stock bios for voltage on an Oc'ed card.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:26:35 AM

570 is a very nice card; only thing in it's way in the MUST BUY decision is the $220 each 6950(2gb)
Score
0
June 15, 2011 8:28:55 AM

Seriously? You think they'd, you know, try running something before booting it out the door and saying "Yep! It works!". Or were they expecting the user to monitor the voltage levels? That seems kinda silly, since isn't the whole point of factory overclocks so that you can get a more powerful card for cheaper without needing to understand overclocking?

Since eVGA have a lifetime warranty, it would be a bit of a pain for them if they had everyone returning their SuperClock cards since they were having issues running them, so I'd guess eVGA's would work fine. What about heat though? That's a fair overclock, but the heatsink doesn't look much beefier than any of the other manufacturers who aren't overclocking.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:36:27 AM

fireaza said:
Seriously? You think they'd, you know, try running something before booting it out the door and saying "Yep! It works!". Or were they expecting the user to monitor the voltage levels? That seems kinda silly, since isn't the whole point of factory overclocks so that you can get a more powerful card for cheaper without needing to understand overclocking?

Since eVGA have a lifetime warranty, it would be a bit of a pain for them if they had everyone returning their SuperClock cards since they were having issues running them, so I'd guess eVGA's would work fine. What about heat though? That's a fair overclock, but the heatsink doesn't look much beefier than any of the other manufacturers who aren't overclocking.

Yes, really. so many people had issues with the Oc'ed msi 570 that they released a patch to flash the bios; and it still wasnt enough for my card. stock it was at 950mv - a huge deficit. after flashing it was at 975 and still came short. I ended up at 1000mv for complete stability, and with my fan profile and case (haf-912 w/200mm intake and exhaust) i never have issues keeping it under 73c even on witcher 2 max (ubr sample off of course) and metro 2033 w/DoF and tess on. So i am not sure as to some people ive seen giving reviews on newegg about how the temp is 85c+. All in all i love my 570 and for me reference design works great, even with the overclock.
Score
0
June 15, 2011 8:49:37 AM

Well, hopefully that was just MSI having that issue with overclocking their cards and not eVGA :p 
Score
0
June 22, 2011 6:45:47 AM

Best answer selected by fireaza.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 11:35:05 PM

fireaza said:
Seriously? You think they'd, you know, try running something before booting it out the door and saying "Yep! It works!". Or were they expecting the user to monitor the voltage levels? That seems kinda silly, since isn't the whole point of factory overclocks so that you can get a more powerful card for cheaper without needing to understand overclocking?

Quote:
Since eVGA have a lifetime warranty, it would be a bit of a pain for them if they had everyone returning their SuperClock cards since they were having issues running them, so I'd guess eVGA's would work fine.
What about heat though? That's a fair overclock, but the heatsink doesn't look much beefier than any of the other manufacturers who aren't overclocking.


eVGA doesn't offer life time warranty any more just 3 years, which lets be honest is about how long most hard core gamers will run it before wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Some models they will do extended warranties if you register them right away on their website.
Score
0
August 19, 2011 6:44:45 PM

littleleo said:
eVGA doesn't offer life time warranty any more just 3 years, which lets be honest is about how long most hard core gamers will run it before wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Some models they will do extended warranties if you register them right away on their website.



Evga does offer a lifetime warranty on some cards. You just have to looks at the specs to find out.


I had 2 Evga 570sc's. First one came bad. Second one was going bad so I stepped up to the 580. Evga's customer service cant be beat.
Score
0
August 20, 2011 2:24:55 AM

It all depends on your situation. What your budget is. For me, I would go with a gtx 580, only because I will not sli in the future, and I would like to have the fastest single gpu out. The card would last me a very long time. It would still run perfect even after the 6xx series were released. So for me, the gtx 580 is the better choice. Before I made this decision, I was almost sure I would take a gtx 570. But if I could fit a gtx 580 into my $1300 budget, why not :D 
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 20, 2011 7:37:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!