Sign in with
Your question

Vista does not recognize wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 15, 2011 6:47:36 PM

After reinstalling Vista, Vista does not recognize my wireless network. I know that the wireless network is working because my i-Touch and my blue-ray (internet streaming) still are working with the Cisco/Linksys E2000. I made sure that the wireless switch on my Gateway laptop was in the on position. The wireless hardware does not show up in the hardware control panel. Is this a driver issue or a hardware issue? It does not seem that it would be a hardware problem.

My Gateway is still under warranty thru Best Buy. If it's a hardware problem, it's covered but if it's a software problem(I take it that a driver would be software), they want $100 to fix. This is what brings me to a second question, if it's a driver issue, should I just upgrade to Window 7? Does Window 7 have build in drivers for wireless hardware?

Any ideas would be welcome.
Threeberryswi
Anonymous
January 17, 2011 9:48:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Wireless Networking by Fihart
Anonymous
January 17, 2011 9:51:23 PM

Vista will not include its own drivers for your wireless adapter. Go to Gateway's support website and download the chipset driver packs or the wireless adapter driver for your model of laptop and Windows Vista.
Related resources
January 17, 2011 10:59:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did try Gateway's website. They had a Intel chipset for my laptop computer running Vista. (Intel 9.1.1.1020_W7x64_A.zip) It still did not recognize the wireless hardware. I've sent Gateway an e-mail trying to make sure that this is the right driver. That driver may be for Window7x64.
Thank you again for your time
Anonymous
January 17, 2011 11:02:14 PM

Check the Intel site -- a bit confusing but came through for me when transferring a mini-PCI from a smashed Phillips laptop to an elderly Dell.
January 25, 2011 1:02:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. My Gateway is up and running. It was the drivers. The tip on the Intel site was right on. Thanks again.
!