Rant. Poorly described mice

czeshirecat

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Considering that mice are one of The Most Major input devices on an average PC, trying to research an ideal mouse is like a mine field.
I'm looking for a replacement for my Logitech MX620 cordless laser mouse for general and gaming use.
I've been very happy with it as it's got the basic functionality plus 2 thumb buttons and middle mouse button relocated to the left edge, but the front thumb button's too far forward for my mid sized hand and I'd like an extra button.
What's annoying me is manufacturer's definitions of a 'button'.
I'd assume a current basic mouse would have a left and right button, clickable centre scroll and maybe the ability to tilt the scroll wheel.
Some manufacturers would class that as a 5 button mouse by including left/right tilt as 2 buttons. Some also include buttons underneath that toggle power for a wireless mouse, or buttons for adjusting sensitivity, or buttons for tuning into a U.S.B. wireless dongle.
I visited Microsoft's hardware site thinking they'd describe all of the functions of their SideWinder X5 mouse, but no, you had to guess by looking at the piccies. Are the 3 blobs running up from the wheel buttons, LEDs or just plastic lumps?
If I'm buying a mouse I want to know what it does above and beyond a £5 cheapy.
So manufacturers, stuff your on/off switch, give us the true info on what you're trying to sell to us.
And Tom's hardware, if you happen to review mice, amongst the info on speed please show a grid of what one would expect as basic functions with ticks/crosses, and beyond that what is programmable for use in games. Avoid saying "it's a 12 button mouse" where 11 of those could be for adjusting the lcd flashing display around the edge.

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I have a Logitech Performance MX Mouse. I am quite happy with it. I do have to agree though that the way they describe some mice is ridiculous.