Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium G620 - Any experience with this CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2011 11:34:43 PM

I'm planning on building a budget system for a very basic user (internet, flash games, MS Office, etc.) and am drawn to the affordability of the Pentium G620. I don't have much experience with the second generation Sandy Bridge processors (other than a buddy's i5-2500k, which is amazing) and was wondering if anyone has played around with the G620? My hope is that this computer would last for the next five years or so, considering the needs of the user won't change. If it can handle what the user can throw at it without any hiccups, I'll be happy.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 15, 2011 3:40:44 AM

I built my mom's computer with the Pentium E5200 (2.5 Ghz dual core). That was almost three years ago. Her needs are exactly the same as what you put down. Her computer still runs snappy to this day. Just remember... 4 GBs of RAM is where a budget system needs to be at. Even at 2 GB there could be some slow down in some apps.

So to answer your question, I'll send you here to look at the benchmarks. Considering my mom won't need a faster processor than the E5200 for a few more years, easily, the fact that the G620 handily beats the E5200 should be a clear indication for you. :) 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/66?vs=406
a c 478 à CPUs
November 15, 2011 4:55:20 AM

The P G620 should be fine for very basic needs like the ones listed.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2011 10:44:22 AM

I use it in my HTPC. Granted, that's a different usage from what you have in mind, but I have no complaints with it. It's a good CPU for office usage, I would say.
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:10:46 PM

phyco126 said:
I built my mom's computer with the Pentium E5200 (2.5 Ghz dual core). That was almost three years ago. Her needs are exactly the same as what you put down. Her computer still runs snappy to this day. Just remember... 4 GBs of RAM is where a budget system needs to be at. Even at 2 GB there could be some slow down in some apps.

So to answer your question, I'll send you here to look at the benchmarks. Considering my mom won't need a faster processor than the E5200 for a few more years, easily, the fact that the G620 handily beats the E5200 should be a clear indication for you. :) 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/66?vs=406

Thanks for the info. Good to know the CPU should be somewhat future proof for their needs. Only thing I need to decide now is if 8GB would be overkill. It's hard to pass up the increase with the price of RAM where it is.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
November 15, 2011 3:16:42 PM

For the basic needs that you have listed you are going to find that 4GB is a nice amount to run. If you need to stick some additional memory in placing 2 x 1GB sticks in would be a better value. Just make sure that you use Windows 7 64bit on the build or you will be locked into 4GB max. The Intel® Pentium® G620 should work very well for your needs.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2011 12:17:22 AM

8 gigs is super overkill. I only surpass 4 gigs in memory usage when I'm multitasking... as in, converting a video, photoediting, several chrome windows open with several tabs each, steam running, anti-virus running, yahoo open, internet explorer open with two tabs... and a few more things. All at once, and I only hit 4.5 GB of RAM. I can max out 8 gigs with professional video editing though. :D 
m
l
November 16, 2011 4:43:38 PM

Best answer selected by skaughtz.
m
l
!