ATI Sapphire HD 6850 Problems and Artifacts

Azacel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello everybody... I'm just new here, sorry for my english. I need some help please. I just bought a new PC with the next configuration:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Phenom II X6
Patriot "G Series" Sector 5 8gb (2x4gb dual channel)
ATI Sapphire HD 6850
OCZ Vertex II 60gb
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
Corsair H70 Cooling System

:cry: I'm having troubles with it. I don't know if it is video or ram. I think is video but concerning to PSU. if some one has seen this before and can tell me what it is i would apreciate it.

The best example i have is when i open chrome and run the new addon of angrybirds automaticly video crashes, blue or color vertical lines appear then screen goes black and PC frezze. Is weird becouse i can play Splinter Cell Conviction at AAx16 all setting at high for about an hour and system does not crash, some times it crashed instantly.

This is close picture to the monitor of the video artifact.
img00011201106121058.jpg

I downloaded last ati drivers, last flash player, las chipset driver, not yet update BIOS but i will try that today.

Loogyman8

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
The problem can be solved. I've done it. a few times on different kinds of cards.
the latest was an ATI HD6970 before that an Nvidia 8700GT.. I recommend cooking it!!!!

I know it sounds strange but I've done this to laptop internal video cards and Xbox 360's.

I use a methode with a heat gun at my Computer SHOP but you can do it safely enough with a hair dryer.

Cooking method:

Remove fan and heat sink and any plastic that can be removed and replaced.
Must be on a flat surface
never leave too long on one spot .. Small movements to even out the Temperatures.
once completed both sides and cooled add thermal paste I recommend Artic Silver 5

Leave time to set for cooling before moving it.
(electronic parts may come loose) you should not heat up to that point anyways
about 10 to 15 minutes per side allowing 5 minutes per section..

Section 1 GPU
2 Memory areas
3 power regulator section
(Allow 10 to 15 minutes of cooling before handling)
on the back side same procedure just on the opposite end of the card

Reassemble and reinstall on your PC.. that's it This problem is like the red ring of death on the X-Box 360 except it's easier to fix... This has nothing to do with quality or Brand names or Manufacturers..It's just the nature of electronics inability to with stand high temperatures for long periods of time.. Heat Breaks the Vid Cards and Heat fixes them.. GO FIGURE.