r0amzki

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
What exactly does a Solid State Drive imrpove?

And what will a new processor do?

Can we list some improvements i'll notice from each.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
To put it simply:
SSD will improve data access (read & write) over current mechanical hd
New processor (assuming it's better than your current one) will improve processing power
Eg. You will notice faster boot time and loading time (for games) for both.

Try imagine reading a book, with few math equation...your eyes and page flip speed is the ssd, the faster you can read and flip the pages, the better, right?
Now imagine you have to solve the math equation in each pages before you're allowed to flip the pages, that's the processor speed...

If you would be so kind to put your pc spec here, we might have better picture at which part will have better impact on upgrades.

^pretty good analogy, but the CPU doesn't really have a non-trivial effect on boot and game-loading times. The SSD will have a very large impact on those. I've seen 20-second differences in FPS level-loading times between SSDs and HDDs.
The CPU will make applications open faster, files convert faster, games run better and allow you to run more applications at once, assuming you have enough RAM.
Yes, what are your specs? What do you use your computer for?

r0amzki

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I like to game.. a lot.. too much. ha.

Phenom II 965 X4 3.4ghz
8 Gb Ram 1333mhz
gtx460 SC 1gb
500 gb HDD

I kind of want to build a computer that i won't have to upgrade for a LONG time.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

what resolution do you game? the way i see it, the ssd will fit better in your system than new processor.
Are you planning to build from scratch or upgrade this system?
Considering you have a pretty good spec (that is, assuming you don't game in very high resolution) i think your current build will last you a few years...just don't forget to drop ssd in there ;) (btw i would upgrade the video card if you're gaming - but wait until amd 7 series arrive)
If i were you, i'd keep the money and hold on until next year when ivy bridge arrive...

A new CPU won't help you without a new GPU to go with it. You could do a major upgrade, but it'd be almost ground-up. You could wait a while, as cumi suggests, or do a build now. You'd have to go over $1000 to make it worth it, or a little less with salvaged parts (case, HDD, PSU if it's good enough, ODD).
An SSD would have a nice, tangible benefit now.

TRENDING THREADS