Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Still a good build or need changes?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 16, 2011 7:20:43 PM

This build was suggested to me a few months ago but due to money problems i was unable to build it. Im re posting it now because I finally got my money and want to see if there are any different parts it could use now (That fall within a $1000 budget)

Im wanting to Xfire it and OC. I wanna be able to get as close to maxing out Skyrim as possible on this budget.

AMD is prefered but if an Intel build is better I would like to see one. (Please explain why its better im a little new at this and wana gather all the info i can)

P.S. People keep saying things about a new "Bulldozer Chip" thats coming out soon. What is that? and is it worth the wait or affordable on my budget?

Build:

MB - $100 - Gigabyte AM3+

CPU - X6 1075t - $180

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+ - $45

MEM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series - $95

HD - Samsung F3 1TB - $62

GPU - XFX 6950 2GB - $250 after rebate

OPTICAL - LG blu-ray burner - $80

PSU - 650w for a single GPU or 850w if considering dual GPUs

CASE - Antec 300 - $60

More about : good build

August 16, 2011 7:31:23 PM

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you HAVE to switch these parts for other parts to have a good system. This is fully capable of being good....just not the best. I say that because the intel build just perform better. The i5-2500k is just the best thing out for gaming. It has alot of overclock head room to prevent having to upgrade so soon. The AMD cpu can also be overclocked but when you put the amd vs. intel at the same speeds the intel will still come out on top. Do a google search of some benchmarks and compare them and you will see. But if AMD is what you prefer then the answer is yes it will work.


One thing I would change is the case if you want to do SLI in the future. The antec 300 is garbage it seems for cable managment. I have not seen a nice clean build of one yet. Get something that has more room and better cable routing options.

I suggest the Cooler Master 690II Advanced....it can hold 10 or 11 fans to keep components cool and has good amounts of room to build and route cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89

May be a bit over your budget but is very much worth it.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 7:34:18 PM

No one is entirely sure when Bulldozer is coming out, but it is likely that there would be something in your price range that would beat any current AMD offering. As it stands, I'd go for the X4 955 instead of the X6- better gaming performance at a lower price.

The 6950 is a great card, and Xfire down the road will provide great scaling. As for the PSU, you need a quality 500w unit for a single card and 750w for Crossfire, and that's giving you some room. I recommend this Antec 750w unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2011 7:40:41 PM

jeremy1183 said:
I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you HAVE to switch these parts for other parts to have a good system. This is fully capable of being good....just not the best. I say that because the intel build just perform better. The i5-2500k is just the best thing out for gaming. It has alot of overclock head room to prevent having to upgrade so soon. The AMD cpu can also be overclocked but when you put the amd vs. intel at the same speeds the intel will still come out on top. Do a google search of some benchmarks and compare them and you will see. But if AMD is what you prefer then the answer is yes it will work.


One thing I would change is the case if you want to do SLI in the future. The antec 300 is garbage it seems for cable managment. I have not seen a nice clean build of one yet. Get something that has more room and better cable routing options.

I suggest the Cooler Master 690II Advanced....it can hold 10 or 11 fans to keep components cool and has good amounts of room to build and route cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89

May be a bit over your budget but is very much worth it.

So if i do go with an intel i5-2500k Whats all the recommended parts ill need (im still not very good with the mix n match of parts) so im not sure what motherboard is good etc...

And ive got some room with the budget so some more isnt so bad
m
0
l

Best solution

August 16, 2011 7:46:10 PM

If you do Intel you need to get either the P67 or z68 chipset. What is your overall budget so we can do some builds for you?

Nevermind...I see it...$1000...ill have some stuff up for you soon

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89

Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $169

CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $219

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+ - (Get this off amazon for around $25) http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10...

HD - Samsung F3 1TB - $62

GPU - XFX 6950 2GB - $250 after rebate

Optical Blu Ray- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69

RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $60

Total-$943 (Most parts have free shipping...not including rebates and instanT discounts)


OOPS...forgot the PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (850watt 80 +silver) $179 (You can go cheaper if you like. I just dont mind spending the money on the thing that powers my system) You can spend $10 more and get the GOLD rated one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (169 after MIR)

NEW TOTAL-$1122

Everything in this is towards SLI upgrade in the future. Mobo support, Case support, and psu support.

Share
August 16, 2011 7:47:53 PM

jeremy1183 said:
If you do Intel you need to get either the P67 or z68 chipset. What is your overall budget so we can do some builds for you?

Nevermind...I see it...$1000...ill have some stuff up for you soon

Its in the $1000 to $1500 range with a little swinging room
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:09:52 PM

if you $1,500 then you can build yourself a great system.
My recomendation:

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X ($190)
GPU: MSI N570GTX ($320)
CPU: i5 2500k ($220)
PSU: Seasonic SS 850 HT 850W ($120)
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V ($133)
Memory: 8Gb (2x4Gb) Crucial BL2KIT51264BA1339 ($63)

Reasons:

HAF X is great, spacious, has USB 3, lots of cooling and 9 PCI-E slots
GTX 570 is awesome. More expensive than 6950, but I like it more (Physix)
CPU: no need to elaborate about it
PSU: Seasonic is the best. This particular model has a great price, though it does not have cable management. Plus, 850W gets you "near future proof" power.
Mobo: Asus boards are great (support, driver up-dates, general treats etc.). Z68 is the best chipset for you Sandy Bridge.
Memory: ALWAYS buy the cheapest from a good vendor. Expensive memory, with creative names (Revenger, Assassin, Terminator etc.) are just not worth.

It still lets you money to get monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:14:36 PM

In time:

Cooler: Xygmatek Dark Knight ($53)
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:18:54 PM

570's are great but like he said more expensive and the AMD's scale better in crossfire....either way it wont be a disappointment. Also seasonic is good. you will find that other companies take their psu and re-brand them. Non modular PSU are cheaper but are harder to work with if you dont have a case with good cable routing options. 690II can handle it though. so its your choice on if you would like to have more cables in your system than is needed.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:21:59 PM

+1 to all, if it's in the $1500 range you either go with a 2500k now or wait until Bulldozer.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:33:50 PM

would be nice to have numbers for bulldozer to see how they would compare to intel
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:35:13 PM

jeremy1183 said:
570's are great but like he said more expensive and the AMD's scale better in crossfire....either way it wont be a disappointment. Also seasonic is good. you will find that other companies take their psu and re-brand them. Non modular PSU are cheaper but are harder to work with if you dont have a case with good cable routing options. 690II can handle it though. so its your choice on if you would like to have more cables in your system than is needed.

I think I forgot to mention my monitor is going to be my hdtv so my GPU needs a HDMI is there a difference between the mini hdmi the 570 has and a regular hdmi?
and maybe another motherboard thats in stock? (just me being impatient lol) but i can wait if its the best for my money
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 8:54:45 PM

How big is your HDTV?
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:18:48 PM

jeremy1183 said:
How big is your HDTV?

50in 1080p
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:20:43 PM

Get a card with 2gb vram or more....the 570 will run you around $400 and the 6950 will be around $270
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:24:09 PM

jeremy1183 said:
Get a card with 2gb vram or more....the 570 will run you around $400 and the 6950 will be around $270

Does that have to do with it scaling or refresh rate or what?
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:38:18 PM

Nevermind...got ahead of myself. Sorry. I did some reading and asked another part of the forum. It wont matter unless you try and play games above 1900x1080.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:39:56 PM

jeremy1183 said:
Nevermind...got ahead of myself. Sorry. I did some reading and asked another part of the forum. It wont matter unless you try and play games above 1900x1080.

I just want this system to be as close to maxing out Skyrim the day it comes out and I thought 1900x1080 was max for 1080p?
Didnt think it could go higher
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:48:38 PM

Your right....just didnt know what you were using...your good to go man
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:51:00 PM

jeremy1183 said:
Your right....just didnt know what you were using...your good to go man

Thank you so much ive learned so much today that i ever would have on my own. :D 
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 9:51:24 PM

Best answer selected by jojoman211.
m
0
l
August 16, 2011 10:00:28 PM

Good Luck!
m
0
l
!