Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First build with a budget from 1200 to 1400

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 16, 2011 7:26:07 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: within a month

Budget Range: 1200/1400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, home video HD editing,

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, I have a corsair tx650w less then a year old that I would like to reuse if I am able to.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon

Country of Origin: US, tx

Parts Preferences: i5 2500k

Overclocking: not at start but down the line

SLI or Crossfire: wanting to start with one and add another later down the line when needed, but could be talked into starting out with 2 worried that my 650 wont power 2 cards

Monitor Resolution: looking for a good 1920x1080. Around $200

Additional Comments: What I am looking for is a system that will last me 4+ years realizing that as time goes by so will my settings on games. Not looking to overclock the mobo, or graphics card want a stable system.
Here are some parts that I like but nothing is bought (except the power supple)
Intel Core i5-2500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

video card is where I am the most lost been looking at all the builds and trying to look at reviews and comparisons.
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or something else???

Wanting to pick up on sale today for 199 and will more then likely buy tonight
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
also will pick up the Samsung f3 seems like that is the one every one suggests

mobo I have no clue about this, just want to be able to sli down the line and use the ssd above. Want usb 3 for future use.

Case doesn’t have to be flashy just want good cooling at a decent price.

8 gigs of ram


I think that’s all of it. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : build budget 1200 1400

August 16, 2011 10:35:03 PM

Best solution

August 16, 2011 11:08:09 PM

Easy solution for that psu of yours. Use it until you decide to purchase a second vid card for SLI and then buy a psu that will push two of whatever cards you decide to go with. Also if you do heavy video editing, then I suggest the 2600K...but remember these 1155 boards will support the new 22mm Ivy Bridge due out next April. For a case with great cooling...the best cooling/airflow imo, then any of the Cooler Master HAF series cases... HAF-X, HAF 932 Advanced...and my favorite...the HAF 922.

Here's a few ideas to check out.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $261.98 - $15.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $256.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $28.43 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $225.98 FREE SHIPPING Save $6 w/ promo code ASUS729, ends 8/31
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $479.99 - $459.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


Here's the board I plan on getting for my next build (ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3). I'm guessing it will come in somewhere around $160 by looking at the price of the new Asrock Z68 Asrock extreme4 GEN3 on newegg. That board came out on newegg a few days ago and it's selling for $190 atm. This board right down below...it's the "little brother" to that Z68 extreme4 GEN3.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2739...**Official**-Asrock-Z68-Gen3-Extreme7-amp-Extreme4-thread <----- More on that board here with pics

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155 <----- All the boards on there that say "GEN3" next to their name

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- This new GEN3 board just hit new egg a few days ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- and this new GEN3 board just hit newegg a few days ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- and this P67 GEN3 board hit newegg last week

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/IntelZ68/index.asp <---- Click a few of the links up at the top and check it out...it's worth the look imo.
Share
Related resources
August 16, 2011 11:09:43 PM

Here's my suggestion:

This build-a-kit: $494.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MSI P67A-C43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
BYTECC 6 ft. 18AWG Power Cord w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector – Black Model POWERCORD-6K

add a second block of DDR3-1600: $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a GTX 570: $319.99 w/$40 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a SATa 3 120 GB SSD: $219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Acer 23" monitor: $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2x Rosewill Blue LED 120mm fans $15.98 ($7.99 ea)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Gaming Keyboard: $14.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Mouse, up to 2400dpi. $9.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 Home Premium: $94.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

total $1360.90
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 2:18:35 AM

Why_Me said:
Easy solution for that psu of yours. Use it until you decide to purchase a second vid card for SLI and then buy a psu that will push two of whatever cards you decide to go with. Also if you do heavy video editing, then I suggest the 2600K...but remember these 1155 boards will support the new 22mm Ivy Bridge due out next April. For a case with great cooling...the best cooling/airflow imo, then any of the Cooler Master HAF series cases... HAF-X, HAF 932 Advanced...and my favorite...the HAF 922.

Here's a few ideas to check out.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $261.98 - $15.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $256.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $28.43 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $225.98 FREE SHIPPING Save $6 w/ promo code ASUS729, ends 8/31
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $479.99 - $459.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


Here's the board I plan on getting for my next build (ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3). I'm guessing it will come in somewhere around $160 by looking at the price of the new Asrock Z68 Asrock extreme4 GEN3 on newegg. That board came out on newegg a few days ago and it's selling for $190 atm. This board right down below...it's the "little brother" to that Z68 extreme4 GEN3.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2739...**Official**-Asrock-Z68-Gen3-Extreme7-amp-Extreme4-thread <----- More on that board here with pics

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155 <----- All the boards on there that say "GEN3" next to their name

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- This new GEN3 board just hit new egg a few days ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- and this new GEN3 board just hit newegg a few days ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- and this P67 GEN3 board hit newegg last week

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/IntelZ68/index.asp <---- Click a few of the links up at the top and check it out...it's worth the look imo.



I like this build think I will start ordering parts starting with the m4 on sale today and look for sales on the other parts. I will keep my old 19 inch monitor right now and use that money to get the GTX 580.
Like I said I really have no clue about mobo why is that asrock better then stuff out right now?
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 2:43:15 AM

akared said:
I like this build think I will start ordering parts starting with the m4 on sale today and look for sales on the other parts. I will keep my old 19 inch monitor right now and use that money to get the GTX 580.
Like I said I really have no clue about mobo why is that asrock better then stuff out right now?

All these new Asrock GEN3 boards have the new PCIe 3.0 slots which is what the new generation of vid cards will be.
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 2:50:00 AM

ok thanks
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 4:22:09 PM

would this ram work well with the rest of the build

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL


also if i was to pick up a mobo today what would be a good option? Spending so much on a video card I do not think i will be switching that out in the life of this system.

Thanks again for are your help.
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 6:48:10 PM

akared said:
would this ram work well with the rest of the build

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL


also if i was to pick up a mobo today what would be a good option? Spending so much on a video card I do not think i will be switching that out in the life of this system.

Thanks again for are your help.

That RAM will work just fine. As far as a board goes...there's a lot of good ones out atm. Here's a few worth looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $179.99 FREE SHIPPING Save $6 w/ promo code ASUS729, ends 8/31
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 10:03:17 PM

Best answer selected by akared.
m
0
l
!