Sign in with
Your question

3yr Old 850W Antec strong enough for my build?

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2011 1:32:38 AM

Hi everyone, looking to see if somebody can shed some light on the capability of my current PSU

Its a three year old Antec 850 quattro in particular this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It was used on my old computer setup and am hoping to carry it over to my new build:

P8Z68-V PRO
Intel 2500K Quadcore 3.3 -- Stock cooler for now :( 
2x 4GB Corsair Vengance 1600 @ 1.5V
2x nVidia 9800GX2 running in SLi (also carried over from old build)
Antec 1200 Case
WD Raptor 120gb 10k RPM

Looking at many of those online calculators it seems to be plenty, but the PSU is hitting 3 years old now. After my old rig crapped out I was convinced it was my PSU (turned out to be the motherboard), since then I've always been a little paranoid of it causing instability.

What do you guys think??

a c 1167 ) Power supply
November 15, 2011 2:00:16 AM

For a system running with two GeForce 9800 GX2 graphics cards in 2-way (Quad) SLI mode NVIDIA specifies that the power supply should have a minimum of 750 Watts or greater with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

Your Antec TruePower Quattro 850, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 64 Amps, should still be fully capable of powering your new build.
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:14:09 PM

ko888 said:
For a system running with two GeForce 9800 GX2 graphics cards in 2-way (Quad) SLI mode NVIDIA specifies that the power supply should have a minimum of 750 Watts or greater with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

Your Antec TruePower Quattro 850, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 64 Amps, should still be fully capable of powering your new build.

Thanks a lot for the info thats good to hear.

The only reason I speculate is that Ive had people tell me that its not the highest quality PSU and for those two cards 850 @ 80 efficiency is as low as you should go. Blaming my PSU for my previous computer problems has shaken my confidence in it

m
l
!