GPU which is better

FoldingZebra

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you get 2GB reference models of the 6950 you can unlock them to 6970s wich are better or on par with 2 580s according to benchmarks.

2 6950s = more money but better performance than a single 580

Though I'm sure a single card of either the 6950 or the 580 will be enough to max anything out. I am thinking of getting 2 6950s as well as I have always wanted to do xfire.

jdm4936

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
How difficult is the unlocking of the card? I'm doing research for my first build. As well do all popular modern games support crossfire/sli. As well where did you get the benchmarks for 2 gpus I have yet to find a source that gave benchmarks?

FoldingZebra

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I just google HD6950 Benchmarks or GTX 580 Benchmarks. Youtube has a bunch of videos too. I like to watch TinyTimLogan on YouTube for reviews. Look up TimeToLiveCustoms on youtube.

I dont think it is hard to unlock the card. Referance models come with a dual bios switch so incase something goes wrong you have a way to restore your cards BIOS. I have read that there is a risk of damage due to increased voltages, but I'm not sure. I know you can unlock just the shaders and leave everything else as a 6950, then overclock it and get near the same performance as the 6970. I THINK you can unlock shaders only on some non referance model cards as well, but Im not sure.

Google How to unlock a 6950. You just download a 6970 Bios and flash your card.

Even if you go with one 6950 and leave it alone, you will be maxing everything out now and games to come. If you get 2 6950s, you'll be good for a long while I would think. I have been doing tons of reading about cards as I am building a PC myself in October for Battlefield 3 :D

Also, what other parts have you picked out? What's your budget?