Face down power supply question...

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If your case has tabs approximately 1/2 inch (maybe a little less) above the floor of the case for your PSU to sit up on, should you still cut out a hole in the bottom of your case (would also add a grill and filter) for fresh cool air intake directly underneath the PSU intake fan (if PSU is positioned face down) or will the space between your PSU and the bottom of your case provide enough?

Specifically this would be for an Antec 300 Illusion or 600.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I own 2 Antec 300. With 2 front fans and the back and top fans I mounted the psu with the fan facing up into the case. I have not had any problems with heat. I would dill holes in the bottom of the case and install a filter and higher feet if I mounted the psu with the fan facing down.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

I'm not opposed to modding the case. I just want to know if a hole+filter would be better or about the same as just mounting the PSU face down on the tabs.

I have heard that face down is best for getting cooler air to go through the PSU (supposedly prolonging the useful life) and helps with not getting anything (dust/loose screws, etc.) falling down into it. Is there a specific reason why you mounted your PSU face up?

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
If you mount the psu with the fan side down in a Antec 300, I don't think the fan can draw much cool air because the fan will be drawing air from inside the case and it doesn't have as good a air flow. Cases design for fan side down always have venting on the bottom and a filter for dust.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would mount the PSU with the intake fan facing up in the Antec 300 case. That's how it was designed to be mounted. Afterall, It's not like the air in the bottom of the case is oven-hot. The front intake fan is constantly pushing fresh air right over the PSU. Besides, All the heat that is generated by the graphics card and CPU is above the PSU. That heat rises and/or is exhausted. There's no reason to butcher your case...