Question about Resident Evil 4

I've barely played any of the other ones (the controls and limited # of saves
turned me off), but I keep hearing how amazing RE4 is. How important are
the previous RE games to the storyline? And are there a lot "in-jokes" and
the like that would be more appreciated after playing the others?

I recently completed Eternal Darkness, LOVED it... how does this stack up?

--
"BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! BROCK LESNAR!!!!!" - Brock Lesnar
BROCK (BRAWK):

"HitMan333" <aa297@NOSPAMchebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> I've barely played any of the other ones (the controls and limited # of
> saves
> turned me off), but I keep hearing how amazing RE4 is. How important are
> the previous RE games to the storyline? And are there a lot "in-jokes"
> and
> the like that would be more appreciated after playing the others?
>
> I recently completed Eternal Darkness, LOVED it... how does this stack up?

I have never played through an entire Resident Evil game before, and I am
loving this game. I bought Eternal Darkness a couple years ago and didn't
get too far into it before stopping. Just didn't grab me for some reason,
even though it was very popular. Anyway, RE4 is one of the most polished
games I've played in a long time on any platform (and I have all three
current gen consoles). Lots of fun, very balanced so far so that it's got
some challenge but isn't frustrating, and is very atmospheric. The boss
fights are very cool (although pretty easy when compared to other parts of
the game when you're being swarmed with villagers), and the inventory
management is actually enjoyable (I thought it would be irritating).

As advertised, the controls have been redesigned so that it almost plays
like a 3rd person Metroid Prime (although better than MP in my opinion).
The only thing that may frustrate some people is the inability to move while
shooting. You get used to that, and to have it any other way would have
totally changed the game design. It works.

I highly recommend it. I can see this thing having a good chance at GOTY
awards for 2005.

"HitMan333" <aa297@NOSPAMchebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message news:ct41rl$sgt$2@News.Dal.Ca...
> I've barely played any of the other ones (the controls and limited # of saves
> turned me off), but I keep hearing how amazing RE4 is. How important are
> the previous RE games to the storyline?

Not very important.

> And are there a lot "in-jokes" and
> the like that would be more appreciated after playing the others?

Hmmmmm, how about a Jill sandwich?

> I recently completed Eternal Darkness, LOVED it... how does this stack up?

Blows it away. ED was a little overhyped IMHO. I mean, how many times
did you have to go back to the same places? Seemed kind of cheap to me.
I would say RE4 is the best in the series. The 1st one is excellent too and
the remake of the 1st for the GC is worth every penny (which you can get
for about a 1000 pennies now)

HitMan333 wrote:
> I've barely played any of the other ones (the controls and limited # of saves
> turned me off), but I keep hearing how amazing RE4 is. How important are
> the previous RE games to the storyline? And are there a lot "in-jokes" and
> the like that would be more appreciated after playing the others?
>
> I recently completed Eternal Darkness, LOVED it... how does this stack up?

it doesn't matter, just buy it.

it's so different, it's like an entirely different game.

eternal darkness was ok, but nothing at all like any of the resident
evil games