Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PLZ HELP major problem HDD maybe DOA

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2011 5:48:15 AM

I just built my first gaming rig, got everything together, attempted windows install and no hard drive is detected.

I am using a Windows 7 ultimate, Mobo: Asus Rampage Form. III and HDD: WD Black 1TB Sata III

Problems: 1.) HDD is detected in bios but with errors on both the Marvell Sata III ports and Intel Sata II ports. HDD shows up as either (Intel) HDD, 0 bytes,

Manufacturer:...... or (Marvell) S0, 0 bytes, Manufacturer:.....

2.) Windows does not detect the HDD during "installation", tried working around with diskpart with no luck, disk usually isn't detected but from time to time a disk of size 512

bytes appears and upon attempting to clean the disk and partition it an I/O error pops up.

3.) The disk does not spin up, ever. I actually placed the disk (sata cable and power cable connected) on top of my tower just to listen and no spinnage :( .

4.) Upon trying to install mobo drivers for HDD controllers (from included disc), Windows informs me that none of these drivers can help..??

5.) I do not have another Desktop to test the hdd on, just a laptop and an Esata to Sata cable. The laptop doesn't detect the drive either.

Please help, because I get the feeling it may be more than a dead Hard Drive.
November 15, 2011 6:25:15 AM

Go into BIOS... check what the connector for the HDD is set to? Is it IDE, RAID or AHCI?
November 15, 2011 2:51:40 PM

AHCI, I've also tried IDE.
Related resources
November 16, 2011 5:55:44 AM

Try it with RAID. I think for the first time it should be that. Its been a long time since i did my OS installation. Even my HDD was not detected when set to AHCI in BIOS, if i do remember correctly.
November 16, 2011 3:33:37 PM

Ok I'll give it a try
November 17, 2011 12:45:03 AM

Same result :( . My marvell controller will detect it as a 6gbps 0 byte drive but that's it. It's not detected on installation.
November 17, 2011 2:03:17 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Try it with RAID. I think for the first time it should be that. Its been a long time since i did my OS installation. Even my HDD was not detected when set to AHCI in BIOS, if i do remember correctly.

RAID has nothing to do with this issue. RAID is used for synk/back up , there are number of different RAID implementations.
I’d check physical connections, and read MB manual, time after time until you understand what is the correct setting
November 17, 2011 2:12:16 PM

bigman8291 said:
I just built my first gaming rig, got everything together, attempted windows install and no hard drive is detected.

I am using a Windows 7 ultimate, Mobo: Asus Rampage Form. III and HDD: WD Black 1TB Sata III

Problems: 1.) HDD is detected in bios but with errors on both the Marvell Sata III ports and Intel Sata II ports. HDD shows up as either (Intel) HDD, 0 bytes,

Manufacturer:...... or (Marvell) S0, 0 bytes, Manufacturer:.....

2.) Windows does not detect the HDD during "installation", tried working around with diskpart with no luck, disk usually isn't detected but from time to time a disk of size 512

bytes appears and upon attempting to clean the disk and partition it an I/O error pops up.

3.) The disk does not spin up, ever. I actually placed the disk (sata cable and power cable connected) on top of my tower just to listen and no spinnage :( .

4.) Upon trying to install mobo drivers for HDD controllers (from included disc), Windows informs me that none of these drivers can help..??

5.) I do not have another Desktop to test the hdd on, just a laptop and an Esata to Sata cable. The laptop doesn't detect the drive either.

Please help, because I get the feeling it may be more than a dead Hard Drive.

If BIOS can’t see it, or see it as a 0 bytes, then windows will not ever consider it.
Sorry to say, but placing your HD on the top of the tower was not a good idea, if the HD don’t ever spin then it can be faulty.
Are you sure that PSU is powerful enough ? Many people underestimate the importance of the PSU.
Well the drivers has nothing to do with this issue either.
I would create a check list based on manuals from you HW and see where is the problem.
November 17, 2011 8:29:10 PM

Yeah I'm RMA'ing it, I've ran through several different scenarios and I'm fairly sure the HDD is dead. The cd drive works perfect and i tried the hdd in that sata port with no result and have tried ahci raid and ide settings. I also updated the mobo bios..

@Rastamanov Psu is 1000 watt OCZ Z-series gold

Thanks for your help though guys.

Best solution

November 18, 2011 9:34:10 AM

bigman8291 said:
Yeah I'm RMA'ing it, I've ran through several different scenarios and I'm fairly sure the HDD is dead. The cd drive works perfect and i tried the hdd in that sata port with no result and have tried ahci raid and ide settings. I also updated the mobo bios..

@Rastamanov Psu is 1000 watt OCZ Z-series gold

Thanks for your help though guys.

Mate, I can give you one advice, since you are dealing with piece of engineering, always plan what you are doing, and ALWAYS read manuals, the manuals you get with h/w or a s/w is for a reason!! Do you have antistatic strap, you will be surprise how much damage statistic eclec. can do.
With regards to your PSU 1000W sounds more then enough, but again don’t just listen what I say, but instead: plan your upgrade, based on what the manuals said.
November 24, 2011 8:46:33 PM

Best answer selected by bigman8291.
!