MSI G31TM-P21

srkraidu

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Main Board Dead

No power coming on Main board.

Previously the computer was working fine after a repair was performed by an authorised personnel.

Set aside the Motherboard for future use packed in (Motherboard) M/B box. Later when i wanted to use it stopped working. Took the board to authorized personnel, showed his helplessness stating it was long time you had performed. You need to give it again for repair if you wish, although we these M/B's are not in use these days.

Want to check M/B by myselves and to find whether i will work or not. As it worked for a quite some time and suddenly stopped working when not used.

Now, Performed the display test (with nothing attached), as per the Toms Hardware guide - Checked for damages, connected the power for M/B (wrongly mentioned ones 12V ATX).................

Step five: The specs
Listing each one of the parts in your computer. This must be a full list. If some parts are from an older build, this might be important.
CPU : Intel '06 E5300 Pentium Dual Core 2.60 GHz/2M/800/06 Q941A965
Motherboard (model number): MSI N1996 MS-7529 Ver: 1.6 Sl.No: 9816641715
RAM (Model number, speed, timings, voltage): HYNET 1GB DDR2 800
CPU cooler (stock or not, model if applicable): Intel CPU Fan
Video Card (model number) : Inbuilt
Power Supply (model number, or company and wattage at least) : 450 W
Hard drive(s) : Not attaching
Operating System : HDD not attaching

BIOS Specifications (External): 686 AMIBIOS 1999 XG90 2640

Step six:
1. Failing at Display test itself.

Unfortunately the link which i have to check is working
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/127/ARTICLE/3353/2008-04-19.html

Solution
Good point - definately won't work if the board is dead already but, you can attempt it - I would since it really can't hurt anything, just might be futile. These are the best directions I have
http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/
Good luck

I'm a little confused about that statement, do you have your 24pin and 4pin connectors plugged into the motherboard or the 24pin only? It should be both as it is very unlikely you would get a good POST with the 24pin only plugged in. The 4pin, referred to as the 12V ATX input is usually used to power the CPU - you need power to the CPU to POST.
If I misunderstood your statement, you can ignore this...

srkraidu

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
24 pin and 4 pin connectors are plugged in. Everything is put correctly, but there is no sign of getting power on M/B. Also the M/B don't have any indicator light.

Processor, RAM, SMPS checked on others, working.

P.S: 12V ATX was mentioned in Tom's hardware guide, i just mentioned it. Nothing specific about.

srkraidu

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
All basic things - i am putting here - are complete

No damages on motherboard.

1. CMOS battery replaced
2. RAM - Checked with another new RAM taken from a workable system
3. Processor removed and tested on another system - Processor working, Processor fan both working.
4. SMPS working well on other computer.

Failing at the display test itself, so no question of other attachments does arise.

I am unable to find whether power is coming to board or not. As there is no light indication (not provided by manufacturer as in case of other boards). Except for indication of Processor fan one can't identify whether power is coming onto board. If any one here knows the other way to check at this, one can share.

Otherwise only thing left is to throw it away. As even the person who repaired it and which ran for few months suddenly stopped working when checked after few days.

Suddenly the board is dead without any reason.

srkraidu

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you.

I was of the same view. I was not clear whether it can be done on a non-working board.

Also i have never done BIOS update. I would like to take help of you if i could not do by the manual.