Sign in with
Your question

Z77a, intel i7 3770k and corsair vengence 4x8GB Woes. :-(

Last response: in Motherboards
August 16, 2012 8:08:42 AM

Halo everybody,

I have been an avid reader of this forum, been searching for a similar problem, but non appears so, here it goes:

I am building a new PC with the following spec:

Mobo MSI z77a G45
Intel i7 3770k
Corsair 4x8GB CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

VGA and HDD will be using from my last built. :-)

Anyway, I have been encountering problem with NO POST, after installing the memory into DIMM 3 and 4. With only memory installed at DIMM 1 and 2, system works perfect. However to do installation of Windows 7 x64, memory at DIMM 2 needs to be taken out. I have done searching, and have successfully updated my mobo firmware, from 2.0 to 2.5, no failure or whatsoever, BIOS is ok. but still, can't install memory at DIMM 3 and 4. :) 

System just turn on for a while, no lights at the monitor, and then it will simply give itself off, and then on again, and off again. :-(.

Any advise before I contact MSI for a replacement?

Cheers,

Raymond
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2012 11:34:51 AM

Hi

Have you checked your RAM each one at a time? Maybe its caused by a faulted RAM not a faulted mobo DIMM.
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:00:47 PM

Gate9er said:
Hi

Have you checked your RAM each one at a time? Maybe its caused by a faulted RAM not a faulted mobo DIMM.

Yeah was thinking the same...
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:51:27 PM

@gate9er i think i did. after the configuration of 2 RAM at DIMM 1 and 2 has been done, I went on to do DIMM 1 and 3, in order to try to get the dual channel thing, but alas NO POST. :-(. But point taken, I will try again just to be sure. thx.
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:43:21 PM

Just an update:
Boot the PC with memtest, 16GB Single Channel, with 8GB each DIMM, slotted @ DIMM 1 and 2. No Error. Yay..
Boot PC with another 2x8GB on DIMM 1 and 2, memtest produce 116 errors. :-(.
Reboot, and successfully boot windows with the "faulty" 2x8GB.
Shut down, and slot all 4 DIMM, still NO POST. :-(.
Which means, RAM ok? and Problem is with mobo?
Need advice, guys.

Thx.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 17, 2012 1:17:10 PM

Normally, the RAM needs to be installed in DIMM slots 2 & 4 or 1-4. However, if DIMM slots 3 & 4 are yielding a post failure or other errors then: 1. HSF Backplate (non-stock) or Case Standoff's are inducing a grounding/short for those (2) two DIMM slots. 2. CPU bent pin(s), or 3. MOBO's DIMM slots are 'faulty'.

Q - Does your HSF have a metal backplate? If yes then is there some form of insulation e.g. plastic washers or similar non-conductive barrier?

Q - Does your MOBO use conventional (brass) metal standoffs or are the standoff's punch-outs from the case?

Example of conventional (brass) standoff's:
m
l
August 17, 2012 4:05:35 PM

So you're saying you're getting an error in dual channel mode irrespective of sticks or slots?
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:53:20 PM

hi jaquith,

thx for reply.

A - I am using Cooler Master 212 EVO, and i think i installed it right. And yes, it has a metal backplate. Insulation? I don't remember dude. :-(. Should I check? I don't think I see any insulation/non conduction barrier in the Cooler Master 212 Evo Manual. I am gonna check it anyway.

A - The standoffs I am using are the ones from Cooler Master.

Cheers,

Raymond

jaquith said:
Normally, the RAM needs to be installed in DIMM slots 2 & 4 or 1-4. However, if DIMM slots 3 & 4 are yielding a post failure or other errors then: 1. HSF Backplate (non-stock) or Case Standoff's are inducing a grounding/short for those (2) two DIMM slots. 2. CPU bent pin(s), or 3. MOBO's DIMM slots are 'faulty'.

Q - Does your HSF have a metal backplate? If yes then is there some form of insulation e.g. plastic washers or similar non-conductive barrier?

Q - Does your MOBO use conventional (brass) metal standoffs or are the standoff's punch-outs from the case?

Example of conventional (brass) standoff's:
http://www.jbtech.com/shop/images/atrex/acc%20bag%20standoff.jpg

m
l
August 18, 2012 6:03:22 PM

Hi Ojas,

Thx for the reply.

I have been getting errors in DIMM 1 and 3, but I have not tried DIMM 2 and 4. Installing all 4 will produce NO POST. Installing DIMM 1 and 2 and 3 will also produce NO POST.

Succesful POST and continue to boot Windows can only be done by installing in DIMM 1 or DIMM 1 and 2.

Did the memtest on the 2 "good" RAM on DIMM 1 and 2, no errors. Shut down, and did the memtest on the other 2, also on DIMM 1 and 2. Errors found, like 114 error I think. Errors are found on both stick, ranging from 1-8000MB and also 8001-16000MB --> correct me if I am wrong, this means error on both sticks, right :-). So, after memtest is done on the "bad" RAMs, restart, POST successful! Windows boots, and PC is still on at this moment.

Any advice on my next move?

Anyway, it's Idul Fitri holiday season @ Jakarta now, so my vendor is closes for the holiday. So will need until the 27th for a RMA on either the mobo or RAM.

cheers,

Raymond

ojas said:
So you're saying you're getting an error in dual channel mode irrespective of sticks or slots?

m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 6:54:53 PM

Again, the RAM is normally in pairs generally installed in the 'Blue' DIMM slots if using 'pairs' e.g. 2x8GB (DIMM Slots 2 & 4), or all 4 DIMM Slots in your case.

First, it's not good to have ANY errors so I'd RMA your RAM. I would test one pair at a time only in the 'Blue' DIMM Slots. In the Blue DIMM slots if one set passes and the other fails then I'd RMA (Exchange) the entire kit.

Further, it's best to use the XMP setting in your BIOS:
F6 ; Load Optimized Defaults
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) -> Enable
F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

XMP with 8GB/stick RAM often increases both the VCCIO and PLL Voltages for stability, and while 'Defaults' should work they often don't with either high density and/or high frequency RAM.

A metal backplate isn't a good thing if there's no insulation between it, the backplate, and the MOBO. It can ground or short the MOBO and often the DIMM slot(s).

To test the DIMM slots, try the 'good' RAM in the 'Black' DIMM slots only.
m
l
August 27, 2012 12:13:07 PM

There is insulation on the stand-offs of the evo. plasticy stuff.

Try slots 2 and 4 only.

Have you tried putting sticks in one at a time? Like the same slot where there's no error, but all 4 sticks turn by turn.

But from what you describe, there's an error in 2 sticks, which you should return.
m
l
September 17, 2012 1:27:44 PM

Dear All, thank you for all the help! Anyway, turns out that I have knocked down a pin or two within the mobo. :-(. Don't know how it happen, and I don't even realised that until I lift up the processor for further checking. Fortunately my vendor is able to make some adjustment to the mobo and everything is running perfect. Thank you guys for everything! Rock on!
m
l
!