Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problem with server

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2011 8:02:37 AM

Hello,

I just build a small server for me and I have a little problem...

The server consider by:

2X Intel Xenon E5320 1.86Ghz
Intel S5000XALR D/C Q/C Xeon 5000 LGA 771 motherboard
16GB (8X2GB) DDR2 MEMORY RAM PC2-4200 ECC FBDIMM DIMM
1000W power supply
and WD 150GB 10.000 rpm (+ 3 x 1TB wd )

When I stared the server i don't have display... Also it seems that keyboard and mouse isn't respond since the light isn't switch on...
I have check almost everything.. clean the CMOS remover the rams and start server without rams, check the volt with meter everything seems to be
fine but at the end the server isn't starts normally.... The strangest thing is that, the LED checkers of the motherboard are all green so that's means that the proper
checking of motherboard finished and successful fine... Am out of ideas here so I need your help... If you think about something about that problem please let me know
as soon as possible!!!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Kindly
Akis

More about : problem server

November 15, 2011 11:07:37 AM

Check the board webpage to see if a newer bios file is required for the e5320. Also try just one stick of ram in dimm slot one to see if the board posts. You may also try reseting the bios by removing the board battery. The cmos jumper should be in the "run" position.
November 17, 2011 4:49:34 PM

Remove all of the ram and all the drives, and if there aint no "beep" it could mean the CPU is fried or the Motherboad can be dead. but be sure to remove all devices from the motherboard.

then put 1 ram back. it could be that 1 of those DIMMS are broken. there are many solutions and options.

oh BTW, it has nothing to do with the CMOS. if your server doesnt start up, its hardware
Related resources
November 19, 2011 11:46:46 AM

ok... I have remove all the ram and devices from server... and just run it only with 2 cpus..... Nothing happens no "beep" sound nothing.... I have try to ran it also with 1 ram and change each time the slot position and I get the same results ( no "beep" sound ) at the end I have remove the 1 cpu and run it with 1 cpu only.... Still nothing... the motherboard or the cpus are death ??? Any ideas ??
November 19, 2011 12:53:54 PM

it all ends up to the motherboard. or the powersupply. Random question it happened to me. Is the ATX12v 4 or 8 pin connected to the motherboard? if it is not connected the pc will go in, but nothing will hapen. so make sure that one is plugged in.

if it is. you can try another powersupply, if the PSU doesnt make any difference. then it is most probally a Faulty motherboad.

I hope you find the problem.
November 19, 2011 1:16:19 PM

well thank you.... I would let you know the problem..... The strange thing is that I have 2 motherboards the same and I get the same results with the 2... sooo how much possibility have, to be a motherboard failure?? :p 
November 19, 2011 1:30:33 PM

Powersupply?, haha what screen do you use? mabe you have a large resolution screen. and the motherboard doesnt support the screen resolution output>?

try using a old 14" CRT Monitor.

Options are open
November 19, 2011 1:33:18 PM

well I have try different power supply but nothing..... probably am so lucky and 2 motherboard's are dead or cpu's are dead... Something that I forgot to mention before is that the 2 motherboards instep of doing a "beep" they are doing a small sound click ( you need to but your ears close to mobo to heart it... I don't know if that it has to do with beep and instep of beep motherboard do that... At the end.. Another thing that it's strange all the LED of failures are green i download the manual of the specific motherboard and find out that any problems that has to do with the pre - POST check they will "display" on the led's that motherboard has... instep of that, the motherboard check goes great even if there is not memory... what's going on at the end?? :p  :p  any others ideas before I sent it to trash are welcome!!! :p  :p  Thank you!!
November 19, 2011 1:34:44 PM

Jurgens said:
Powersupply?, haha what screen do you use? mabe you have a large resolution screen. and the motherboard doesnt support the screen resolution output>?

try using a old 14" CRT Monitor.

Options are open

if it's that my problem I will KILL my self !!!!!! how dummy am I ??? ??? :-/
November 19, 2011 2:11:01 PM

hahahaha. its always the stupid things that cause the problem. well try it and let me know. hope it is that
November 19, 2011 2:14:08 PM

poolet21 said:
well I have try different power supply but nothing..... probably am so lucky and 2 motherboard's are dead or cpu's are dead... Something that I forgot to mention before is that the 2 motherboards instep of doing a "beep" they are doing a small sound click ( you need to but your ears close to mobo to heart it... I don't know if that it has to do with beep and instep of beep motherboard do that... At the end.. Another thing that it's strange all the LED of failures are green i download the manual of the specific motherboard and find out that any problems that has to do with the pre - POST check they will "display" on the led's that motherboard has... instep of that, the motherboard check goes great even if there is not memory... what's going on at the end?? :p  :p  any others ideas before I sent it to trash are welcome!!! :p  :p  Thank you!!

didnt see this post. try the smaller Monitor. im pretty sure it is that. if the mobo says the thing is 100% and the mobo makes a sound. "click, beep, yell" anything. then there is life.

check the monitor and let me know :p 
November 19, 2011 2:20:53 PM

I have try a 15 old CRT monitor that ( check if it's works first ) but nothing.. .still no display... But the good news comes... :D  After a lot of tries... Finally the motherboard says 10000 of "beeps" :p  ..... Yeup... The trick was to install one memory and boot after a while as the server runs I remove the slot of ram and oua la..!!!! But the problem seems to be unsolved since I ran out of ideas.... If at least have a display and an error then I'd be better possition....
November 19, 2011 2:48:58 PM

if the server "beeps" with no ram in the Mobo. it means there is no ram in the mobo.

so if you put the ram in the mobo Nothing?

that means the ram is not working. try other Ram. but from what i saw your server Mobo only support DDR-2 667. try getting 667 Ram. non-ecc.
November 19, 2011 7:13:26 PM

If you change ram, check the board qvl first. Xeons won't run right with desktop ram.
December 3, 2011 9:14:32 PM

Thanks's guys!!! Problem solved!!!!!!!! The I just change motherboard...And YES am so lucky and 2 motherboards are death !!!! :-/
!