Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Room enough for AMP! SLI?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 16, 2012 9:21:38 AM

Hi.

I'm interested in running GTX 670 SLI in the system I'm currently building.
The ZOTAC AMP! looks promising, but it's a pretty big card.

I'm wondering if it's wise to run two of these cards in one system, or if it'll get too hot.

I'm gonna' pick either a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 or a ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 motherboard (depending on which CPU I end up choosing).

I'm not planning to use any watercooling or anything extra. I'm going for a Cooler Master HAF X, so perhaps that can help a tiny bit?

Details.
ZOTAC AMP!:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
X97:
Z77:

Thanks in advance!

More about : room amp sli

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2012 3:06:12 PM

I would go with the X79 board. It is capable of running both pci-e lanes at X16. And while it's not much of an increase in performance it is some increase, and that seems to be what you want out of this machine.

Now, if you're trying to save money then the Z77 and it's accompanying processor is the way to go. The x79 motherboard and the 3930K (Sandy Bridge Extreme), will run you about $1,000 while the Z77 and something like the 3770K will only run you about $600.

The biggest differences for me (now), and the reason I choose the X79 were the extra 2/4 cores, Dual X16 lanes and the quad channel memory (ivy bridge wasn't out then lol).

The case looks like a very good choice for the set up. It was designed for the gtx 470 which is only 1" shorter so the 670's should fit just fine. I like the GPU cooler built into it with the adjustable vent. That should help a lot with the cooling. Just make sure you have an excellent power supply - not an item to cheap out on - probably gonna need an 850 at least (600W for a one card system). And get a great cpu cooler and you'll have a machine you'll enjoy for some time to come. (My opinion of course)

Oh, and don't discount water cooling. If you get something like the CORSAIR H100 it is almost as simple to install as a regular quality air cooler, but it runs quieter and does a better job of cooling (less heat for your cards to contend with). It's a completely sealed unit, no muss and fuss like with home built/DIY kits. Just screw it in and your done
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 16, 2012 3:46:28 PM

Either Sabertooth (X79 or Z77) will accommodate triple width GPUs. By default the bandwidth will be the same. nVidia won't enable PCIe 3.0 on the X79 by default and on the Z77 PCIe 3.0 is enabled by default IF you have an Ivy Bridge CPU.

X79 PCIe 3.0 mod - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135

SLI GTX 670 is a tad overkill for 1xHD (1920x1080) and IF you're running higher resolutions then I'd start to consider the 4GB GTX 670's.

Q - What resolution?
Q - Are you considering 3D Vision?
Score
Related resources
August 16, 2012 5:51:56 PM

Yeah, since I posted this I've been considering a couple of 4GB Zotac instead.
Since I'm running SLI anyway the extra power from the AMP! is probably unnoticeable, and even though the extra RAM is probably going to be unnoticeable right now I'll bet it's a safer bet for future-proofing than extra power on a 2GB card..?
If I'd only been after a single card then I might have ended up with the AMP!, but I'm starting to change my mind about the SLI setup (since there's no 4GB AMP!).

Right now I'm only on a 1920x1200 monitor, but I'm going to buy something bigger within a few months. Maybe even add an extra monitor or two, depending on how my financial situation looks like.

I don't care much for 3D, so that's not a factor.

I'm going to order a 1200W Corsair PSU and watercooling might be a solution later on if (when!) I decide to do some heavier OC.

So yeah, right now it's probably overkill, but over the months I'm planning on adding to my system so I can use it more efficiently.
Also, I've got some money to burn right now (that's also why I'm probably gonna' end up choosing the X97 MB).

If no-one has any further advice or comments I'll return in a few hours and close the thread+select an answer.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 16, 2012 6:25:57 PM

The 2GB vs 4GB vRAM all depends on the total resolution, and for 1xHD (1920x1080) 2GB is fine. However, if you wanted 3xHD (5760x1080 {5900+x1080 w/bezel correction}) then you'd want the 4GB vRAM or 3D Vision.

The Corsair AX1200 is a very nice PSU though it's also overkill for SLI GTX 670's on either platform, but you can add the sleeved kits. I'd also consider for 1000W SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W or SeaSonic X-1250 1250W.

/edit - unless you're both OC'ing the CPU and running Futurmark I would probably recommend the Corsair AX850 or SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 860W. FYI - the higher-end Corsair's PSU's are SeaSonic. Most of the time you'll be drawing 600W~700W while gaming.
Score
August 16, 2012 9:22:34 PM

Yeah, I know it's overkill, but I've been burnt (not literally) by too weak PSUs before, and I can safely add more stuff as I see fit without thinking too much about power.
A strong PSU is just something that I'll never do without, after experiencing a weak one.

I thank you both for your good advice.
Score
August 16, 2012 9:24:11 PM

Best answer selected by Whateley.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 9:03:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!