msconfig,regedit vanishes after 20secs of invokation

ravi

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I am trying to upload msconfig ,regedit etc; I invoke the
executable in Windows xp, it stays for just 20secs , then
it vanishes

In article <26c3401c461f5$1785e830$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com, a.k.a ravi says...

> I am trying to upload msconfig ,regedit etc; I invoke the
> executable in Windows xp, it stays for just 20secs , then
> it vanishes

You as likely have a virus on your system.

Run Stinger from AVERT ... http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Then download and buy a copy of NOD32 (www.nod32.com)

"ravi" wrote:

> I am trying to upload msconfig ,regedit etc; I invoke the
> executable in Windows xp, it stays for just 20secs , then
> it vanishes

This is typical behavior for many different viruses. Run a full system scan with your up to date anti-virus program.

If this does not restore the MSConfig or Regedit applications, you can get emergency replacements at MVP Doug's website. This utility will create a usable backup copy of Taskmgr.exe, MSConfig.exe and Regedit.EXE in a new folder.

Fix Windows XP Help:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP