Is a newer 32" 1080p HD TV too big for computer monitor?

zoenphlux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hey everybody, i'm in the process of researching my new build that should take place near the end of the year. I am currently using a 24" dell monitor and this machine is getting passed to my wife. I am hoping to use this as an excuse to buy what I want which is a 32" hd tv as a monitor. I measured my head to the current monitor in normal gaming position and i'm right at 3ft. I am hoping with a decent card(maybe 2) I can get by with upping the aa and all in games and keeping a sharp image(if the extra processing is even necessary). Anybody have any recommendations or are using a similar setup to tell if it is too big or just right. I have played L4D with all settings maxed on a 3 way 280 sli config with a 40" samsung and it looked fantastic. I was about 5 feet away. Was hoping the 8 inches would be enough to take out 2 feet and keep picture up.

thanks for any responses

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hi zoenphlux, i suggested to another user on this forum a tv I suggested and the reasons why. If you have enough room for a tv, its awesome to play games on :)

Things you’ll need to research for are play back response times vs. the size you'll prefer. As I mentioned in the thread link below the plasmas are better for quick moving games where precision movement is needed with your keyboard & mouse. But the draw back is the smallest size they come in might be too big for your liking.

I'm going by firsthand experience with a 42" panasonic viera within 3foot and it is awesome. If you’re a competitive gamer i would not get an lcd tv. The inputlag due to the slow moving liquid in lcd displays will be felt in your games. It all depends how fussy you are really ;)

Heres a link to the other thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318189-33-looking-suggestions-monitor

leon2006

Distinguished

No... I have 70, 65, and 52..all 1080P

zoenphlux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
thanks for the responses guys. I will check that link out after work today!

Leon2006 "No... I have 70, 65, and 52..all 1080P"

Sorry, but do you mean no its too big or no its not too big(again this is at aprox 3ft for desktop monitor?

Thanks again!

leon2006

Distinguished

In my HDTV the text and graphics are great as close as 6 inches.

For my case and need it can never be too big. It has its advantages that unless you use a big monitor you will know. Like on a 1st person shooter game. I head on a distant is small dot on 24 /32 inch screen. On a big screen its a clear silhoutte of a head that you can clearly shoot. Other players are surprise how the hell i see it. The initial impression is I'm using cheat code. The fact is w/ big screen a head is not a dot but an outline of a head or helmet.

For CAD/CAE use i use to display electronic circuits / schematics that i design or work on.

My personal recommendation to you... The bigger is better. This is speaking from actual experience with big HDTV as display. 32 inch HDTV is still small.