Upgrading Dell Inspiron 530 please help

northcountryinmt

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hello, Thanks for taking a look. New pc enthusiast here. I have on hand a little used Dell inspiron 530 that has a Hard Disc that has been wiped clean with Dariks boot n nuke. On which that I have installed the latest stable version of Linux Mint, which I enjoy using from time to time.
Primarily I want to use this for bittorrenting, and ftp'ing, and to play music, it will be attached to my stereo, and may turn it into a base for HTPC, again, mostly linux Mint based.
My dilemma is I want to use it for occasional gaming purposes, mostly windows xp games. The specs are as follows:
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
Memory --3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
Video Cards --
-- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Hard Drives --500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
300 watt power supply in the bigger case, not slimline case.

I want to install the extra 1 gb of ram for a total of 4, upgrade the video card (150 $ budget on video card or so(less is better)), possibly install an additional hard drive (1 TB.
Questions: What graphics card can I upgrade to and be compatible with the dell and linux mint and windows xp? I want to play some flight simulators, and racing simulators, if I upgrade the video card will this rig be able to handle this? I am going to partition the hard drives to include 4gb of swap space, what would be some other peoples opinions on smart partitioning.

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I would check out something like a Nvidia 9800 series. Maybe something more specifically like the Nvidia 9800 GT by PNY. I know they use less power but offer a great bang for your buck buy.

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I would assume then that you would be needing PCI-E. Regardless of brand, were you looking for a single card setup or SLI or X-Fire? Also a price range?

Something like that the Nvidia GeForce 240 GT should have HDMI or 500 series.

northcountryinmt

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
In regards to your first question of pci-e: If that is needed for hdmi then yes, if not I don't care.
In regards to single card setup or sli, or x-fire: I am ignorant on the advantages or disadvantages of those three options (note to self: research them).
Main issue is compatibility with the box, and linux mint/ windows xp, and decent gaming experience.

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
The Nvidia site lists the drivers available for both Linux and Windows 32/64 bit so that shouldnt be an issue as far as compatibility.

PCI-E refers to the type of slot that the video card will be fitting into on your motherboard. I assume with your CPU Socket Type, your mother board will have the PCI-E 2.0 slot. As for the SLI & X-fire setup that I mentioned, just disregard that.