Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello,
My current setup is:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
AMD Phenom II X4 840
OCZ ModxStream pro 700w

This week I will order the asus Hd 6970 DirectCU II 2GB to completely finish my setup. But now that iv done some more research about power supplies I'm a little worried about the psu I'm using. I don't want to have spent all this money on a nice setup and have it blow up in my face the next day and lose my graphics card and other stuff because I sort of cheaped out on my psu.
Can I trust this psu to do its job? Because i have been in forums that say it's a fantastic psu, and i have been in other forums that say it's trash.
Can I trust it or should I just buy another one?

I use ocz, and it works fine and is quiet. I recommend you try the 700w for awhile at the default settings with no overclocking. See how stable the video driver is. You won't blow up anything; ocz has built in safeguards to prevent any damage to your board. If you have instability now or later when overclocking, then you can sell it and spend the money on a higher rated ps. Antec, corsair, xfx, seasonic, and enermax are all pretty good.

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
yeah I was going to upgrade to an antec/corsair in a few months because I was planning to crossfire. I just wanted to make sure the psu was stable enough to run my setup until I get the second psu. haha I'm very paranoid when it comes to this stuff. Thanks mate

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Also does this psu even have the required power to run this setup? 2x 12v 25a rails, 20a for the graphics card, 15a for the other things like CPU and DVD drive and 5-10a for a little extra space? Is this correct?
Thnx

The Radeon HD 6970 itself can draw up to 23.9 Amps from the +12V rail if you were to run FurMark. This isn't a typical/realistic graphics load unless your job is to run FurMark or OCCT GPU Torture Testing constantly.

15.5 Amps for the Radeon HD 6970 itself is what is normally encountered during intense gaming.