Remove protective film before use? What protective film?

adamtheman87

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I have an Nvidia GE Force 450

There is a sticker on top of it which says "remove protective film before use" - I don't know what they're talking about.. Like the sticker that has the logo and a little design on it? Is there something I'm missing here? There is a sticker on the bottom of the circuit board which says "warranty void if removed".

hooru

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
"remove protective film before use" probably refers to the clear plastic film that covers the graphic design of the card, and/or the protective film on the fan. i personally left the protective film on my card for a few months, i actually didnt realize it had any on it lol.. i dont think leaving the film on would have any negative side effects, altho, the film might be able to build up static electricity from the dust, and there-for, could ultimately fry your card. so on second thought, listen to what they tell you and remove the plastic film from you card. if you rub your finger on the corner of the card, you should be able to peal off the film.

adamtheman87

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks! I found it I guess that's right, if you take your fingernail really carefully you'll find the edge to a thin plastic sheet there.

But oh my goodness, this is the first computer I ever built and what a nightmare getting the graphics card to actually go in was. I hope they aren't super fragile because it took like 5 tries to get it in. I think what was happening were the metal pieces on the back of the card that go beside the motherboard were catching on a piece of the case so I ended up having to bend them out just a little bit with a pair of pliers, then finally it went in... I hope I didn't break anything...

hooru

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
sum cases can give you problems sumtimes but, that just makes it that much more fun. I hope you took pride in building your own PC and built it correctly:)