New to Cingular... How to "lock down" a Motorola v180 so y..

I'm new to Cingular coming from Sprint.

With my Sprint phone, there were settings in the phone to display
confirmation messages if the service you were going to access would
result in additional charges on your bill. For example, if you were
going to use the web features or make a call while using analog roaming
off the network.

Are there settings on the v180 to either prevent access to or at least
warn before allowing access to features that would result in additional
charges on your bill?

Part of the problem is I don't know what results in additional charges
and what doesn't. For example, does accessing "MyMEdia" result in
charges? What about "Media Net" or "My Account"? The only way to know
what causes charges is to try to access it and see if I get something on
my bill.

I know that sending or receiving a text message would result in a
charge. I've gone to the Message Center website and tried to prevent any
text messages from being sent to the phone. Also, any time I see
something that looks like a browser popping up, I immediately cancel out
of it and see some message like "xxxx bytes transferred" which probably
means I got charged for that.

Can anyone share any advice? All I need this phone to do is dial in and
dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.
30 answers Last reply
More about cingular lock down motorola v180

    "none" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    > I'm new to Cingular coming from Sprint.
    >
    > With my Sprint phone, there were settings in the phone to display
    > confirmation messages if the service you were going to access would result
    > in additional charges on your bill. For example, if you were going to use
    > the web features or make a call while using analog roaming off the
    > network.
    >
    > Are there settings on the v180 to either prevent access to or at least
    > warn before allowing access to features that would result in additional
    > charges on your bill?
    >
    > Part of the problem is I don't know what results in additional charges and
    > what doesn't. For example, does accessing "MyMEdia" result in charges?
    > What about "Media Net" or "My Account"? The only way to know what causes
    > charges is to try to access it and see if I get something on my bill.
    >
    > I know that sending or receiving a text message would result in a charge.
    > I've gone to the Message Center website and tried to prevent any text
    > messages from being sent to the phone. Also, any time I see something
    > that looks like a browser popping up, I immediately cancel out of it and
    > see some message like "xxxx bytes transferred" which probably means I got
    > charged for that.
    >
    > Can anyone share any advice? All I need this phone to do is dial in and
    > dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
    > pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.

    If you have not signed up (as part of your plan) for internet services, you
    will not be able to access them.
    As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    free.

    Per none:
    > All I need this phone to do is dial in and
    >dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
    >pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.

    I'm on tMobile, but I've got a couple of v180's and the same mindset.

    The other poster's suggestion about calling Cingular and asking them to update
    your account sounds like the best idea.

    But I haven't done that (yet...) either.

    What I did was use the v180's Settings|Security|Phone Lock|Lock Applications
    to lock everything except the basics. That way, although I can still use them,
    I have to supply the phone's password before I can get to them.

    What prompted this outlook for me was reading a newspaper account of somebody
    who managed to ring up thousands of dollars in text messaging fees on her new
    phone without even knowing she was doing anything.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:36:23 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >free.

    If you're a cingular blue (former AT&T Wireless) yes. If you're
    cingular you pay for both incoming and outgoing messages.

    I believe that sending Media messages to your phone does incur a charge.
    When I first got my V180 I was able to find (somewhere) what items would be
    charged for and how much they would be. I send myself a few pictures and
    such as experiments and used one for my background (screensaver) on the
    phone.

    ANYWAY, I find that web-browsing on a phone is next to useless for me so I
    called Cingular and had them disable that service ON MY ACCONT, not on the
    phone.

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:36:23 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >free.

    Hum, I get charged for 10 cents per message for all
    messages, incoming and outgoing.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:42:54 GMT, "Gary" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I believe that sending Media messages to your phone does incur a charge.
    >When I first got my V180 I was able to find (somewhere) what items would be
    >charged for and how much they would be. I send myself a few pictures and
    >such as experiments and used one for my background (screensaver) on the
    >phone.
    >
    >ANYWAY, I find that web-browsing on a phone is next to useless for me so I
    >called Cingular and had them disable that service ON MY ACCONT, not on the
    >phone.

    Same here. I played with web browsing on my phone and
    also found it useless.

    And, after my phone was lost/stolen, I found someone
    racked up $100 plus of Direct Billed charges, which
    I later found out was downloading ringtones and/or
    games.

    I had internet access and direct billing on my account
    disabled to prevent stuff like this from happening
    again.

    "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

    > As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    > free.

    This used to be true. Cingular now charges for incoming and outgoing. If you
    use a lot of TXT messages, then it would behoove you to look into a plan for
    adding these to your current plan. 10¢ a message is a bit extreme - and they
    do NOT come out of your minute pool.

    "Ernie" <user@invalid.domain.com> wrote in message

    > I had internet access and direct billing on my account
    > disabled to prevent stuff like this from happening
    > again.

    Direct billing is not a good option for anything that changes because of
    usage or other things. Cellular, Electricity, Phone, etc...... all things
    that should never be direct billed.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:56:15 GMT, "John S."
    <john@mocha-n-micro-chips.com> wrote:

    >"Ernie" <user@invalid.domain.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I had internet access and direct billing on my account
    >> disabled to prevent stuff like this from happening
    >> again.
    >
    >Direct billing is not a good option for anything that changes because of
    >usage or other things. Cellular, Electricity, Phone, etc...... all things
    >that should never be direct billed.

    True.

    But I was referring to "Direct Billing" where
    sites charge your Cingular account for downloads
    (Games, Ringtones).
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > What I did was use the v180's Settings|Security|Phone Lock|Lock Applications
    > to lock everything except the basics. That way, although I can still use them,
    > I have to supply the phone's password before I can get to them.
    >
    > What prompted this outlook for me was reading a newspaper account of somebody
    > who managed to ring up thousands of dollars in text messaging fees on her new
    > phone without even knowing she was doing anything.

    This newspaper story is exactly what I want to avoid. I understand the
    terms of my contract... basically, every feature is "pay per use" except
    for the block of voice minutes I get each month.

    What I don't understand is how to map those terms to some of the choices
    on the phone so I can know which features I can use without additional
    charges and which ones will cost me more money.

    Obviously, sending a text message or accessing the web browser results
    in a charge to the account so those are easy. But what isn't clear is
    when you're using the web browser and when you aren't. For example, is
    "MediaNet" the web browser? Or is "MEdia Mall" the web browser? Or do
    both use the web browser to access different things? What about "My
    Account"? Does it use the web browser? If so, are you really charged
    for getting access to your account information or is that given to you
    for free since you aren't really accessing the "internet".

    Then it looks like I can use any of the built-in ringtones or pictures
    without being charged extra. It's only if I were to select one of the
    "Shop Ringtones" or "Shop Graphics", etc. choices that it looks like I
    would download something and be charged. However, it isn't clear to me
    if the act of shopping for graphics or ringtones in itself would use the
    web browser and would result in charges just to look and see what I
    could download. In other words, even if I didn't download a ringtone,
    would I still be charged for the data/web access to see the list of what
    is available for download? (In essence, a double-whammy)

    So here's the list of what can be locked on the phone. Does anyone care
    to comment on what I should lock to accomplish my goal?

    MediaNet (LOCK - sounds like a web browser)
    MEdiaMall (LOCK - sounds like a web browser)
    MyAccount (Maybe lock... are we charged to view account information?)
    MyMEdia (Don't lock because you can use what is on the phone)
    - sounds (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    - pictures (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    - themes (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    - MotoMixer (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    AddressBook
    Settings
    -Tools
    --Calculator
    --Datebook
    --Shortcuts
    --AlarmClock
    --Chat (LOCK - would use web)
    --DialingServices
    ---FixedDial
    ---ServiceDial
    --SimApplications
    --AIM (LOCK - would use web)
    -Audio
    -Network (LOCK)
    -WebAccess (LOCK)
    --WebShortcuts (LOCK)
    --StoredPages (LOCK)
    --History (LOCK)
    --GoToURL (LOCK)
    --BrowserSetup (LOCK)
    --WebSessions (LOCK)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:36:23 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >>free.
    >>

    > Hum, I get charged for 10 cents per message for all
    > messages, incoming and outgoing.

    I am only charged for outgoing and have confirmed with Billing that is the
    case.
    perhaps it varies by plan but it was not presented that way to me.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John S." <john@mocha-n-micro-chips.com> wrote in message

    > "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >> free.
    >
    > This used to be true. Cingular now charges for incoming and outgoing. If
    > you use a lot of TXT messages, then it would behoove you to look into a
    > plan for adding these to your current plan. 10¢ a message is a bit
    > extreme - and they do NOT come out of your minute pool.
    Just got my latest bill two days ago and incoming text messages show .00 for
    charge, outgoing .10
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:36:23 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >>free.
    >
    > If you're a cingular blue (former AT&T Wireless) yes. If you're
    > cingular you pay for both incoming and outgoing messages.

    Ahh that's it then, I am former Suncom/ATT customer.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:32:11 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >"Ernie" <user@invalid.domain.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:36:23 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As far as I know, you only pay for outgoing text messages, incoming are
    >>>free.
    >>>

    >> Hum, I get charged for 10 cents per message for all
    >> messages, incoming and outgoing.
    >>

    >I am only charged for outgoing and have confirmed with Billing that is the
    >case.
    >perhaps it varies by plan but it was not presented that way to me.

    It also matters if you're a native cingular customer or are a "blue"
    customer (i.e. acquired in the cingular buyout of AT&T Wireless.) If
    you're in the latter category ATTWS never charged for incoming SMS
    while cingular did.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> [...]
    > information?) Data charges
    > MyMEdia (Don't lock because you can use what is on the phone)
    > - sounds (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    > - pictures (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    > - themes (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    > - MotoMixer (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    > AddressBook
    > Settings
    > -Tools
    > --Calculator
    > --Datebook
    > --Shortcuts
    > --AlarmClock
    > --Chat (LOCK - would use web) Text message charges
    > --DialingServices
    > ---FixedDial
    > ---ServiceDial
    > --SimApplications
    > --AIM (LOCK - would use web) Text message charges (Some automatic)

    Comments inline.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Earl F. Parrish" <efparri@nowhere.world> wrote in message

> [...]
    >> Data charges
    >> MyMEdia (Don't lock because you can use what is on the phone)
    >> - sounds (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    >> - pictures (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    >> - themes (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    >> - MotoMixer (Don't lock, but don't access "Shop" option)
    >> AddressBook
    >> Settings
    >> -Tools
    >> --Calculator
    >> --Datebook
    >> --Shortcuts
    >> --AlarmClock
    >> --Chat (LOCK - would use web) Text message charges
    >> --DialingServices
    >> ---FixedDial
    >> ---ServiceDial
    >> --SimApplications
    >> --AIM (LOCK - would use web) Text message charges (Some automatic)

    They must allow for some usage for My Account because I go there to check
    minutes and bill amount and have never gotten extra charges on my bill. And
    believe me, I check my bill with a fine tooth comb! I have also used AIM
    once or twice and only got text charges (which can add up if you don't have
    that added to your plan).

    I was also at ATT person who had to convert to cingluar but I now get
    charged for incoming and outgoing text messages. Anything I can do about
    this? I have been having MAJOR issues about texting because I have gotten
    repeat texts messages, sometimes continual 3-5 times per one message sent. I
    tested this with my daughters OGO too, so I know they were only being sent
    once. I called tech support, they said it was a tech issue and are suppose
    to be adjusting my account. Of course, I want them to go back a few months
    as this has been happening for some time. Anyone else ever have this
    problem?

  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Please do this!

    CALL CINGULAR and tell them to TURN OFF all internet and text messaging on
    your phone!

    I learned this the hard way. When I got my new V180 my 11 year old said he
    could put me some cool ringtones in the phone. I said ok gave him the phone
    and told him to knock himself out.
    Now it was after 9 at night so I knew we were in the free nights and
    weekends part of my time and all he had was the phone and his computer, no
    creditcards or anything, so the way I looked at it what harm could be done.
    Believe me when I say I had NO IDEA that you could order stuff off the
    internet and have it billed to your cell phone. When I got my first bill
    there was about $20 in Jamster, DirtyHippo and text messaging charges on my
    phone.
    To say the least I was one unhappy camper and to make matters worse
    there isn't no getting these charges reversed as they claim they are valid.
    At any rate these features have now been banned from my phone and Cingular
    swears there will be no more of these charges.
    As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have. All phones
    should come with these features turned off and to get them turned on should
    require a special call to get them turned on where someone explains in
    detail what charges you could hit with. I still do not understand why my
    phone was set up with things turned on that are not included in my rate
    plan.

    Joe

    "none" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    > I'm new to Cingular coming from Sprint.
    >
    > With my Sprint phone, there were settings in the phone to display
    > confirmation messages if the service you were going to access would result
    > in additional charges on your bill. For example, if you were going to use
    > the web features or make a call while using analog roaming off the
    > network.
    >
    > Are there settings on the v180 to either prevent access to or at least
    > warn before allowing access to features that would result in additional
    > charges on your bill?
    >
    > Part of the problem is I don't know what results in additional charges and
    > what doesn't. For example, does accessing "MyMEdia" result in charges?
    > What about "Media Net" or "My Account"? The only way to know what causes
    > charges is to try to access it and see if I get something on my bill.
    >
    > I know that sending or receiving a text message would result in a charge.
    > I've gone to the Message Center website and tried to prevent any text
    > messages from being sent to the phone. Also, any time I see something
    > that looks like a browser popping up, I immediately cancel out of it and
    > see some message like "xxxx bytes transferred" which probably means I got
    > charged for that.
    >
    > Can anyone share any advice? All I need this phone to do is dial in and
    > dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
    > pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Per Joe:
    >As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular.

    It's worse with tMobile: you can't even have the account profile changed to
    disallow them.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:25:01 -0500, "Joe" <nospam@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    >imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have. All phones
    >should come with these features turned off and to get them turned on should
    >require a special call to get them turned on where someone explains in
    >detail what charges you could hit with. I still do not understand why my
    >phone was set up with things turned on that are not included in my rate
    >plan.

    Maybe before you or anyone who has access to your phone you should
    learn what you might do on your phone to accumulate charges such as
    *using* it to make calls, text messaging, etc. It's not the company's
    job to make you aware of what you have on your account. Ignorance is
    no excuse.

    - -
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I am confused. I have had cell phones for close to ten years and none
    accepted billing for items ordered over the internet. I have also had
    internet since a 100MHZ computer was considered fast. I have also ordered
    thousands of dollars of stuff over the internet with my credit card and
    never once has billing the item to my cell phone been an option.
    How should I have know to inquire about something that I do not even
    know is possible? If Cingular would have said when I got the phone, Do you
    want Text messaging it will cost you a dime both ways I would have said HELL
    NO,Why do you need text messaging it is a phone just call me. If Cingular
    would have said do want the ability to change your ringtones for $15 dollars
    a month I would have again said HELL NO as the default tone was fine with
    me. I thought I was getting Phone service and only Phone service. If I had
    been ask if I wanted this garbage I would have never got it but nobody ask.
    Why should I have assumed I was getting it when the only thing ever talked
    about when I was getting the phone was minutes of phone usage.

    Joe

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:25:01 -0500, "Joe" <nospam@bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    >>imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have. All phones
    >>should come with these features turned off and to get them turned on
    >>should
    >>require a special call to get them turned on where someone explains in
    >>detail what charges you could hit with. I still do not understand why my
    >>phone was set up with things turned on that are not included in my rate
    >>plan.
    >
    > Maybe before you or anyone who has access to your phone you should
    > learn what you might do on your phone to accumulate charges such as
    > *using* it to make calls, text messaging, etc. It's not the company's
    > job to make you aware of what you have on your account. Ignorance is
    > no excuse.
    >
    > - -

  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Per Joseph:
    >It's not the company's
    >job to make you aware of what you have on your account. Ignorance is
    >no excuse.

    But prospective customer might choose another company if they hear enough
    complaints here....-)
    --
    PeteCresswell
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Joe" <nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Please do this!
    >
    > CALL CINGULAR and tell them to TURN OFF all internet and text messaging on
    > your phone!
    >
    > I learned this the hard way. When I got my new V180 my 11 year old said he
    > could put me some cool ringtones in the phone. I said ok gave him the
    > phone and told him to knock himself out.
    > Now it was after 9 at night so I knew we were in the free nights and
    > weekends part of my time and all he had was the phone and his computer, no
    > creditcards or anything, so the way I looked at it what harm could be
    > done. Believe me when I say I had NO IDEA that you could order stuff off
    > the internet and have it billed to your cell phone. When I got my first
    > bill there was about $20 in Jamster, DirtyHippo and text messaging charges
    > on my phone.
    > To say the least I was one unhappy camper and to make matters worse
    > there isn't no getting these charges reversed as they claim they are
    > valid. At any rate these features have now been banned from my phone and
    > Cingular swears there will be no more of these charges.
    > As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    > imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have.

    Let me get this straight ...you (or someone you authorized) used a function
    of an internet site to download ringtones (that I am sure clearly stated the
    charge per ringtone), and you feel you got ripped off. Sorry no sympathy
    here.

    > All phones should come with these features turned off and to get them
    > turned on should require a special call to get them turned on >where
    > someone explains in detail what charges you could hit with. I still do not
    > understand why my phone was set up with things turned >on that are not
    > included in my rate
    >plan.

    Give me a break! Read your agreement and don't turn your cell phone over to
    an 11 year old without knowing what they are up to.
    Perhaps all cell phones should come with an IQ test you must pass before it
    is activated.

    > "none" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to Cingular coming from Sprint.
    >>
    >> With my Sprint phone, there were settings in the phone to display
    >> confirmation messages if the service you were going to access would
    >> result in additional charges on your bill. For example, if you were
    >> going to use the web features or make a call while using analog roaming
    >> off the network.
    >>
    >> Are there settings on the v180 to either prevent access to or at least
    >> warn before allowing access to features that would result in additional
    >> charges on your bill?
    >>
    >> Part of the problem is I don't know what results in additional charges
    >> and what doesn't. For example, does accessing "MyMEdia" result in
    >> charges? What about "Media Net" or "My Account"? The only way to know
    >> what causes charges is to try to access it and see if I get something on
    >> my bill.
    >>
    >> I know that sending or receiving a text message would result in a charge.
    >> I've gone to the Message Center website and tried to prevent any text
    >> messages from being sent to the phone. Also, any time I see something
    >> that looks like a browser popping up, I immediately cancel out of it and
    >> see some message like "xxxx bytes transferred" which probably means I got
    >> charged for that.
    >>
    >> Can anyone share any advice? All I need this phone to do is dial in and
    >> dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
    >> pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    How am I supposed to know my cell phone number is something that should be
    protected like a credit card number. The idea of a phone number is to give
    it out to where people can call you. If my kid would have said "Dad give me
    your credit card to where I can get this" I would have said no. I have
    bought thousands of dollars of stuff over the internet and having it billed
    to my cell phone was never an option how should I have known this was even
    possible when Cingular never told me?

    Joe

> [...]
    >>> and what doesn't. For example, does accessing "MyMEdia" result in
    >>> charges? What about "Media Net" or "My Account"? The only way to know
    >>> what causes charges is to try to access it and see if I get something on
    >>> my bill.
    >>>
    >>> I know that sending or receiving a text message would result in a
    >>> charge. I've gone to the Message Center website and tried to prevent any
    >>> text messages from being sent to the phone. Also, any time I see
    >>> something that looks like a browser popping up, I immediately cancel out
    >>> of it and see some message like "xxxx bytes transferred" which probably
    >>> means I got charged for that.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone share any advice? All I need this phone to do is dial in and
    >>> dial out and voicemail. No PIM... No games... No IM... No Text... No
    >>> pictures... No downloads... Just voice with no extra charges.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >I am confused. I have had cell phones for close to ten years and none
    >accepted billing for items ordered over the internet. I have also had
    >internet since a 100MHZ computer was considered fast. I have also ordered
    >thousands of dollars of stuff over the internet with my credit card and
    >never once has billing the item to my cell phone been an option.

    Guess you have never ordered ringtones or backgrounds before as that is
    standard way of billing them.

    > How should I have know to inquire about something that I do not even
    > know is possible? If Cingular would have said when I got the phone, Do you
    > want Text messaging it will cost you a dime both ways I would have said
    > HELL NO,Why do you need text messaging it is a phone just call me. If
    > Cingular would have said do want the ability to change your ringtones for
    > $15 dollars a month I would have again said HELL NO as the default tone
    > was fine with me.

    Apparently not if you sent the little guy of to the internet to download
    more 'cool' ringtones.

    >I thought I was getting Phone service and only Phone service.

    You are, CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE which tends to include many extras just like
    a land line does.

    >If I had been ask if I wanted this garbage I would have never got it but
    >nobody ask. Why should I have assumed I was getting it when the only thing
    >ever talked about when I was getting the phone was minutes of phone usage.

    And I am sure you READ and signed the same standard contract everyone else
    does (you DID read it right?).
    It clearly describes other services and additional costs that may be
    incurred for their use.

    > "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:25:01 -0500, "Joe" <nospam@bellsouth.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    >>>imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have. All phones
    >>>should come with these features turned off and to get them turned on
    >>>should
    >>>require a special call to get them turned on where someone explains in
    >>>detail what charges you could hit with. I still do not understand why my
    >>>phone was set up with things turned on that are not included in my rate
    >>>plan.
    >>
    >> Maybe before you or anyone who has access to your phone you should
    >> learn what you might do on your phone to accumulate charges such as
    >> *using* it to make calls, text messaging, etc. It's not the company's
    >> job to make you aware of what you have on your account. Ignorance is
    >> no excuse.
    >>
    >> - -

  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > Apparently not if you sent the little guy of to the internet to download
    > more 'cool' ringtones.

    No I did not care one way or another. So long as the phone makes some sort
    of no abnoctious noise to let me know I am being called I do not care what
    that is so I really did not care if the kid changed it to something he
    thought was cool.

    >>I thought I was getting Phone service and only Phone service.
    >
    > You are, CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE which tends to include many extras just
    > like a land line does.
    >
    >>If I had been ask if I wanted this garbage I would have never got it but
    >>nobody ask. Why should I have assumed I was getting it when the only thing
    >>ever talked about when I was getting the phone was minutes of phone usage.
    >>

    > And I am sure you READ and signed the same standard contract everyone else
    > does (you DID read it right?).
    > It clearly describes other services and additional costs that may be
    > incurred for their use.

    Have you read your contract? Who does? It is written in fine print that even
    most lawyers could not understand. I trusted the people selling me the
    service which was a mistake on my part as obviously Cingular is not to be
    trusted. I went to Cingular to buy a cell phone and cellular service and
    that is all that was ever discussed. I at no time ever ask about internet
    service or text messaging and that was never brought up. If Cingular is
    going to enable these features at very expensive rates do you not think they
    should tell you about it when they are signing you up? Do you not think the
    Cingular Rep should have ask me when turning my service on "Do you want text
    messaging at a dime per message" "Do you want the ability to buy stuff from
    the internet and have it billed to your cell phone"? Neither of these
    questions were asked and that is why I feel as if I was scammed. Why is what
    I say unreasonable?

    Joe

    >> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Maybe before you or anyone who has access to your phone you should
    >>> learn what you might do on your phone to accumulate charges such as
    >>> *using* it to make calls, text messaging, etc. It's not the company's
    >>> job to make you aware of what you have on your account. Ignorance is
    >>> no excuse.
    >>>
    >>> - -

  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >> Apparently not if you sent the little guy of to the internet to download
    >> more 'cool' ringtones.
    >
    > No I did not care one way or another. So long as the phone makes some sort
    > of no abnoctious noise to let me know I am being called I do not care what
    > that is so I really did not care if the kid changed it to something he
    > thought was cool.
    >>
    >>>I thought I was getting Phone service and only Phone service.
    >>
    >> You are, CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE which tends to include many extras just
    >> like a land line does.
    >>
    >>>If I had been ask if I wanted this garbage I would have never got it but
    >>>nobody ask. Why should I have assumed I was getting it when the only
    >>>thing ever talked about when I was getting the phone was minutes of phone
    >>>usage.
    >>>

    >> And I am sure you READ and signed the same standard contract everyone
    >> else does (you DID read it right?).
    >> It clearly describes other services and additional costs that may be
    >> incurred for their use.
    >
    > Have you read your contract?

    Sure did!

    > Who does?

    Any one with half a brain reads any contract prior to signing it.

    > It is written in fine print that even most lawyers could not understand.

    I found the language quite clear. Especially the parts that talk about
    additional features and how they may incur additional charges.

    > I trusted the people selling me the service which was a mistake on my part
    > as obviously Cingular is not to be trusted.

    And the mistake on their part was assuming you were mature enough to be
    making such a decision without parental guardian present.
    Face it, this is not a Cingular problem, you did not spend even a moment
    from what I can see researching the product/service you were purchasing. Itr
    was an impulse buy!

    > I went to Cingular to buy a cell phone and cellular service and that is
    > all that was ever discussed.

    And that is all they sold you. You just took no time to see what the
    defiinition of 'Cellular Service' was or to ask questions about your
    particular plan.

    > I at no time ever ask about internet service or text messaging and that
    > was never brought up.

    Sure it was, you just (admittadly) did not read the service plan or contract
    before signing it.
    Maybe when you try to bail on your contract Cingular will post a message
    here about Joe and how they thought they could trust him but he bailed on us
    and never told us he did not want text messaging service before he signed
    the contract he did not read.

    > If Cingular is going to enable these features at very expensive rates do
    > you not think they should tell you about it when they are signing you up?

    If Joe is going to buy a service plan and sign a contract for it, do you not
    think he should read it and ask questions first?

    > Do you not think the Cingular Rep should have ask me when turning my
    > service on "Do you want text messaging at a dime per message" "Do you want
    > the ability to buy stuff from the internet and have it billed to your cell
    > phone"? Neither of these questions were asked and that is why I feel as if
    > I was scammed. Why is what I say unreasonable?

    No I do not any more than I expected Cox to warn me when I signed up for
    internet service that things purchased over the internet could be charged to
    my cell phone, credit card, checking account, etc. Or if I wanted email
    service or not. Nor did I expect them to ask me if I wanted long distance or
    directory assistance service (both incur additional charges) when I ordered
    my land line.

    > Joe
    >

    >>> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > How am I supposed to know my cell phone number is something that should be
    > protected like a credit card number. The idea of a phone number is to give
    > it out to where people can call you. If my kid would have said "Dad give
    > me your credit card to where I can get this" I would have said no. I have
    > bought thousands of dollars of stuff over the internet and having it
    > billed to my cell phone was never an option how should I have known this
    > was even possible when Cingular never told me?
    >
    > Joe

    Seems to me you should be upset with the kid, not Cingular.
    Any of these ringtone sites I have ever seen make it quite clear that the
    'purchase' will be billed to your cell phone bill AND you must make some
    sort of acknowlegment that you understand this.

    Cingular does not offer NetNanny service (that I am aware of)

    > "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe" <nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>> Please do this!
    >>>
    >>> CALL CINGULAR and tell them to TURN OFF all internet and text messaging
    >>> on your phone!
    >>>
    >>> I learned this the hard way. When I got my new V180 my 11 year old said
    >>> he could put me some cool ringtones in the phone. I said ok gave him the
    >>> phone and told him to knock himself out.
    >>> Now it was after 9 at night so I knew we were in the free nights and
    >>> weekends part of my time and all he had was the phone and his computer,
    >>> no creditcards or anything, so the way I looked at it what harm could be
    >>> done. Believe me when I say I had NO IDEA that you could order stuff off
    >>> the internet and have it billed to your cell phone. When I got my first
    >>> bill there was about $20 in Jamster, DirtyHippo and text messaging
    >>> charges on my phone.
    >>> To say the least I was one unhappy camper and to make matters worse
    >>> there isn't no getting these charges reversed as they claim they are
    >>> valid. At any rate these features have now been banned from my phone and
    >>> Cingular swears there will be no more of these charges.
    >>> As far as I am concerned this is one big Scam by Cingular. I can not
    >>> imagine how many people have been ripped off the way I have.
    >>
    >> Let me get this straight ...you (or someone you authorized) used a
    >> function of an internet site to download ringtones (that I am sure
    >> clearly stated the charge per ringtone), and you feel you got ripped off.
    >> Sorry no sympathy here.
    >>

    >>> All phones should come with these features turned off and to get them
    >>> turned on should require a special call to get them turned on >where
    >>> someone explains in detail what charges you could hit with. I still do
    >>> not understand why my phone was set up with things turned >on that are
    >>> not included in my rate
    >> >plan.
    >>
    >> Give me a break! Read your agreement and don't turn your cell phone over
    >> to an 11 year old without knowing what they are up to.
    >> Perhaps all cell phones should come with an IQ test you must pass before
    >> it is activated.
    >>

    >>> "none" <none@none.com> wrote in message

  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <YOGqe.90323$8S5.80452@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    nospam@bellsouth.net says...
    > Now it was after 9 at night so I knew we were in the free nights and
    > weekends part of my time and all he had was the phone and his computer, no
    > creditcards or anything, so the way I looked at it what harm could be done.
    > Believe me when I say I had NO IDEA that you could order stuff off the
    > internet and have it billed to your cell phone. When I got my first bill
    > there was about $20 in Jamster, DirtyHippo and text messaging charges on my
    > phone.

    I can see your point. The web sites or where ever you can do
    phone billing purchases should require some type of PIN or
    password that is linked to your account. Apparently it is set up
    that anyone who knows your number can make purchases? If so,
    that is a crime and Cingular is just a partner in it.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "djk" <djk@spam.operamail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <YOGqe.90323$8S5.80452@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    > nospam@bellsouth.net says...
    >> Now it was after 9 at night so I knew we were in the free nights and
    >> weekends part of my time and all he had was the phone and his computer,
    >> no
    >> creditcards or anything, so the way I looked at it what harm could be
    >> done.
    >> Believe me when I say I had NO IDEA that you could order stuff off the
    >> internet and have it billed to your cell phone. When I got my first bill
    >> there was about $20 in Jamster, DirtyHippo and text messaging charges on
    >> my
    >> phone.
    >>

    > I can see your point. The web sites or where ever you can do
    > phone billing purchases should require some type of PIN or
    > password that is linked to your account. Apparently it is set up
    > that anyone who knows your number can make purchases? If so,
    > that is a crime and Cingular is just a partner in it.

    No, because after you send it to your phone, you have to have possession of
    your phone to accept it.
    Not like anyone with your number can just charge things to your phone
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <as3re.88193$yV4.67116@okepread03>, not@home.com
    says...
    > No, because after you send it to your phone, you have to have possession of
    > your phone to accept it.
    > Not like anyone with your number can just charge things to your phone

    so the phone itself downloads the ringtone or whatever? that
    would me you would have to have some type of data plan on the
    phone, correct? I really don't know how it works, but I would
    like to. Thanks for any info.

Cingular Internet Service Providers