Sign in with
Your question

HTPC PSU Help

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2011 4:57:49 AM

Hello. I cant seem to find the psu requirements for ZOTAC Intel LGA 1155 Z68 Supreme Mini-ITX WiFi. I will be building a HTPC using this mobo, with an intel i3-2105 cpu, 2tb 7200rpm hdd, blu ray slim drive, 8gb ram, and a hauppauge 2250 tv tuner card.

How big should my PSU be? I plan on using a XION mini itx case that has a built in 150w psu unit. Is this enough or should
I look for something with more power?

case:

More about : htpc psu

August 17, 2011 5:25:56 AM

It may run well on a quality 150 watt psu , but that will really depend at what voltages the psu makes the rated wattage .
I can only guess though , and my GUESS is that at that price the psu is not a really high quality unit .

On newegg that case is listed as having a 450 watt psu .... but that must be a mistake , I think

Either way I'd be very comfortable with a 250 - 300 watt psu in a computer like that
Related resources
August 17, 2011 5:26:25 AM

eh sorry im kinda picky.

1st computer had an AMD processor bad experience. Ever since then all my builds have been Intel. I've gone through 3ghz HT P4 > Qx9650 Extreme > and now im currently using an i7 920.

Im no stranger to gaming rigs and builds. But Im new to HTPCs.

Im looking for the smallest mini itx case possible to build an HTPC that is at least decent looking and has 1 expansion slot for a tv tuner

Im open to suggestions but I plan on keeping this a small case build that will be on almost 24/7.

i just need a good case / psu recommendation if my choice above wont handle what i need, which i doubt it will.
August 17, 2011 5:29:09 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It may run well on a quality 150 watt psu , but that will really depend at what voltages the psu makes the rated wattage .
I can only guess though , and my GUESS is that at that price the psu is not a really high quality unit .

On newegg that case is listed as having a 450 watt psu .... but that must be a mistake , I think

Either way I'd be very comfortable with a 250 - 300 watt psu in a computer like that

yeah the version with the 450w psu is an option but it is a bigger case with 4 expansion slots.

the one with 150w psu is a smaller case with only 1 expansion slot which is all i need / want.

im going for the smallest most powerful build that i can do.

and plan on using the zotac mobo 100% sure on that.

August 17, 2011 5:37:37 AM

There was a mistake then . Mine!

Have you had a look at the silverstone mini-ITX cube cases?
August 17, 2011 5:45:36 AM

lol it took me a while to notice a difference as well.

dnt like the idea of a cube i do like the LC19 slim case, but that comes with a 120w built in psu

antec has some nice mini itx cases as well but those as well only have 150w psu.

I wouldnt mind attempting to run the system on 150w, but that would only happen if i new it was a Tier 1 psu and it was reliable.

Dnt want to damage any parts and lose money in the making of this HTPC lol
!