Gaming PC $1K Canadian Edition - Need advise

adesternando

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hey guys, I've been reading these awesome forums last couple of weeks. I plan on building a custom desktop, my last desktop was a Dell that I had purchased back in 2002. I have made a list of parts that I thought would be good, but I wanted your suggestions if I am doing it right.

Approximate Purchase Date: In about 4 weeks.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates: Around $1,000 not a hard budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: : Gaming, movies, interested in learning XNA and/or CGI animation (I have not ever done this before)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca, ncix.com, directcanada.com

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: I have no loyalty, just want the best I can get

Overclocking: Maybe, I am buying a desktop after 9 years. Never done overclocking before, but if it improves performance, why not.

SLI or Crossfire: I would prefer to buy a single good graphics card and then make it crossfire a couple of years later.

Monitor Resolution: As mentioned above first desktop in 9 years. I want to go 1920X1080 or 1920X1200. What do you guys recommend?

Additional Comments: Please see my questions after my proposed build.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K - $209.69

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 - $179.99

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $25.3

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon 6950 2GB - $269.99

Power: Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX 12V - $88.1

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 - $64.49

Hard Disk: WD Caviar Black 750GB -$57.66

Monitor: Asus VW 246H - $200

Total: 1,095.22 before taxes.

Questions:

1) For the Radeon cards, there are many distributors (HIS, Asus etc..). Should I simply go with the cheapest one?
[strike]2) For the monitor should I go for 1920X1080 or 1920X1200. What do you guys recommend?[/strike]
3) (The Asus P8P67 Pro is the same price, which one should I go with?
4) Most budget builds recommend 4GB ram, but the price between 8gb and 4gb is only $35, which seems minimal. Will it not be helpful to have 8gb with my build?
5) I have absolutely no idea which case I should go with. I was thinking: Cooler Master HAF 912 . What do you guys think?
[strike]6) I remember back in the day (sound blaster days) we had to purchase separate sound cards. Is that no longer required?[/strike]

I apologize for the rather long list of questions. I've tried researching them but haven't got direct answers. I really appreciate the community's thought on these. I am really excited about getting a desktop again!

Solution
I don't think i can help you much with your build/questions, but i just wanted to point out that if you live in canada. Memory Express might have cheaper prices, and if you live in one of the larger cities in canada you can probably find a shop there. They do have a website which you can order from as well.

as for some of the questions i can answer:
2) This is more of a preference thing, I would go 1080 myself but it's really up to you. And this shouldn't impact your end build too much or at all.
4) 4GB is already more than enough, only reason to get 8GB at the moment is if you get an amazing deal.
6) Buying a seperate sound card is not required, most come with an integrated chipset which are pretty good.

Minute

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I don't think i can help you much with your build/questions, but i just wanted to point out that if you live in canada. Memory Express might have cheaper prices, and if you live in one of the larger cities in canada you can probably find a shop there. They do have a website which you can order from as well.

as for some of the questions i can answer:
2) This is more of a preference thing, I would go 1080 myself but it's really up to you. And this shouldn't impact your end build too much or at all.
4) 4GB is already more than enough, only reason to get 8GB at the moment is if you get an amazing deal.
6) Buying a seperate sound card is not required, most come with an integrated chipset which are pretty good.

Solution

adesternando

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I live in Calgary and there are quite a few branches of Memory Express, the prices are quite good. Thank you very much for the suggestion, I'd much rather buy it from them then order online and wait!

Thanks for your input on other items as well

werbo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Also the haf 912 is good, its what I have and I love it, although the case fans can get pretty loud whilst gaming :/ Otherwise its pretty good, and it fits nicely into my black motif I've got going with my setup :p