Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stress/Heat testing Will it Hurt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2011 7:25:06 AM

Hey guys

I have a Evga GTX 580 SC and i was testing how hot it could get i was also testing the stabilty of the GPU

the GPU Maxed at 98c then fan kicked in hardcore and cooled it off real fast

now will doing this hurt me card? only did it to see if my GPU is what is said it was able handle on load

and to test if MAX temp it would reach before safety features of GPU turn on
June 14, 2011 2:39:18 PM

bowzef said:
Hey guys

I have a Evga GTX 580 SC and i was testing how hot it could get i was also testing the stabilty of the GPU

the GPU Maxed at 98c then fan kicked in hardcore and cooled it off real fast

now will doing this hurt me card? only did it to see if my GPU is what is said it was able handle on load

and to test if MAX temp it would reach before safety features of GPU turn on

Can it hurt your GPU? Yes. Will it? Who can tell? All chips are made on an assembly line, therefore some are stronger than others. You may have the one that was soldered badly and it may fail early.

You also may have the superman of all chips, that will never die no matter how badly you abuse it.

My advice? Limit your tests. Unless you're ready to upgrade your GPU, I don't suggest pushing it to the very limits.
Score
June 14, 2011 5:34:45 PM

alright but it was only for like maybe 3 to 5 secs that it reached at this heat then i stoped stressing it as soon as safety feature turned on, all graphics test turned off and maxed fan to reduce heat asap

what are chances of it really doing anything? also this is EVGA and under life time warranty from what i have read on EVGA site

i assumed theses gpu are designed to take some abuse i was thinking if i was doing this long term that it would reduce life span am i inncorrect? this was only a 1 time test to see if it was a bad card

or was there a better way to test if it was not a dud?
Score

Best solution

June 14, 2011 5:50:05 PM

Since it was a one time thing and it didn't crap out, I would say you're good. It could have degraded the integrity of the soldering on your board, or any number of things. But you're right when you say these cards are designed to take heat. If it's under a life time warranty, you'll probably be alright.

If you have a life time warrenty, and you absolutely -need- to know if your card is a dud without just simply playing games on it, I suppose this is a pretty decent way of finding out.

I personally would rather just milk my card's life instead of heating it up to it's max potential, having a small chance of it burning out, and having to wait to get another back from EVGA.

tldr: If you have a life time warranty, do what you want with it, as long as you don't go over the max temp suggested and fry it, you should be alright.
June 14, 2011 5:56:27 PM

ok man thanks for advice +1 to u
Score
June 14, 2011 5:57:16 PM

Best answer selected by bowzef.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 6:06:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!