GTX 460 and will it work with my System?

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey there, i've been scanning around the web for some decent GFX cards. I know by now the ones i'm looking at are outdated, but I don't have the cash to dish out.

I've been looking around at the HD 5770 ATI cards, and have read some pretty good reviews about them. However, majoirty of the forums lead to the GTX 460 card, saying that it's better bang for buck. With this, i'm just going to ask if my PC would be able to support such a card;

CPU - AMD X4 955 BE
PSU - 750 WATT OEM ATX
4GB of DDR2
Motherboard - Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe 790FX
Windows 7 (64 bit)

I'm planning on upgrading this weekend or next, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh, my current card is a GTS 250 512MB Overclocked.

You can easily run a GTX 460 or higher with your PSU and your CPU is plenty so no worries about restrictions etc.
The 460 GTX kills a 5770 so don't even consider that card.
let us know your budget and we can maybe suggest something even better.
What resolution do you play at ? Its relevant to recommendations

Mactronix :)

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the quick response! :D Brilliant!

Well, I have a reasonably small screen, due to my last one breaking, i'm in no rush to replace my monitor to be honest, at the moment it's 1280x1024. My budget would be around £100, perhaps a bit more. :)

Thanks Mactronix!

I think the 460 is pretty much you best bet then. Try and afford the full 1GB version if you can as it will handle teh better games with more ease and as said it will then handle a full size display when/ if you get one.

Mactronix :)

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
no problems running it with your 955 either i had my gtx 480 running on my 955 albeit overclocked :)

Cool, cool. I was more worried about the PSU or something cutting out or not having enough connectors, I heard it takes more Molex connectors, or people having to get rid of fans due to it's chunky size. However, my case is huge and has room to expand. Should this be something to worry about?

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
and molex connectors are fine if u need to use them

Cheers, i'm looking around for one of the cards now. I was looking for the GTX 460 on PC World, they have two types (i'm not buying either as PC World's overpriced), I also found one on Scan, all the details seem to be different, such as MHz etc. Would this matter much? E.g. "1GB EVGA GTX 460 SSC+Backplate, 3900MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, Shader Clock 1700MHz, 336 Cores"

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
go for the overclockers one :)

Thanks :) Shall do! Bookmarked and hopefully ordered by my next payday!

Much appreciation to the both of you for kindly helping me choose a GFX card! Have a nice day :D