Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 9:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.
Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
were applied.
Anything else I should be careful about?
August 13, 2005 7:13:26 PM

In comp.sys.laptops level13@gmail.com wrote:
: I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
: laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

: Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
: distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
: The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
: PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.

Does it have a CD drive? If so, try burning a CD of Ubuntu "live boot"
then boot the CD and see how Ubuntu Live works on your computer. At
96MB it will probably be slow and take a while to boot, but at least
you can see how the hardware would work. If you find that Ubuntu live
recognizes all your hardware, then you can install the real thing (a
different CD image) and it will run a lot faster:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

: Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
: time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
: were applied.

Can you expand the memory of the laptop beyond 96MB? I wouldn't spend
much money on it, but you might be lucky to find used RAM.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

No, memory expansion is not possible. I suppose I'll try with Knoppix
Live CD first since I already have it somewhere. After that, I hear
Vector Linux should be the right choice for older machines -- or could
this one be squeezed for more action?
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2005 5:02:37 PM

level13@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
> laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>
> Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
> distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
> The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
> PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.
> Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
> time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
> were applied.
> Anything else I should be careful about?

I'm pretty sure I've done SUSE 8.2 on it in the past... but I think I
just threw out our last one... pretty sure it was the 320CDS though.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2005 8:27:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

I think I'll go in with Debian. However, should I choose ext2 or ext3
for its filesystem? Its drive has 4 GB.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 12:46:21 PM

level13@gmail.com wrote:
> I think I'll go in with Debian. However, should I choose ext2 or ext3
> for its filesystem? Its drive has 4 GB.

Mine came with 6Gb, but I swapped that for a 20 and installed Mandrake
10.1. Then I put the 6gB back and set it up with smoothwall, using a
USB-ethernet converter. I now have Suse 9.2 on it, still being a
firewall but also being a printer server.
!