Epson P-2000 vs. Nikon Coolwalker

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 24, 2005 2:37:52 AM

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two storage devices?

AFAICT, the Epson looks better.

Would appreciate any helpful advice.

TIA-
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 25, 2005 3:36:16 PM

Just received the Epson device and very impressed by the image quality both
for Raw/JPEG and movies. MP3 with headphones is OK too, straightforward to
use. Only note of concern are the reported dead pixels that some people have
encountered. Happily this has not been a problem for me...............Phil
"Stealth" <stealth@youllneverfindme.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any experience with either of these two storage devices?
>
> AFAICT, the Epson looks better.
>
> Would appreciate any helpful advice.
>
> TIA-

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 25, 2005 3:36:17 PM

I'm seriously looking at buying a P-2000 in the coming weeks wor work with
my S2 Pro. What I'm concerned about is the fact it suspposedly can't display
12 MP images, or go beyond 8.3 files names. Has anyone had any experience
with this combination?

Zinchuk

"Phil Martin" <phil.mart@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 210k0$7fb$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Just received the Epson device and very impressed by the image quality
> both for Raw/JPEG and movies. MP3 with headphones is OK too,
> straightforward to use. Only note of concern are the reported dead pixels
> that some people have encountered. Happily this has not been a problem for
> me...............Phil
> "Stealth" <stealth@youllneverfindme.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have any experience with either of these two storage devices?
>>
>> AFAICT, the Epson looks better.
>>
>> Would appreciate any helpful advice.
>>
>> TIA-

Related resources
March 25, 2005 3:36:18 PM

I've heard the 12MP limitation has been lifted with the current firmware
update.

I'm disappointed that it can't display .TIF images...

"Brian Zinchuk" <brian.zinchuk@sasktel.net> wrote in message

> I'm seriously looking at buying a P-2000 in the coming weeks wor work with
> my S2 Pro. What I'm concerned about is the fact it suspposedly can't
> display 12 MP images, or go beyond 8.3 files names. Has anyone had any
> experience with this combination?
>
> Zinchuk
>

> "Phil Martin" <phil.mart@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D 210k0$7fb$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
>> Just received the Epson device and very impressed by the image quality
>> both for Raw/JPEG and movies. MP3 with headphones is OK too,
>> straightforward to use. Only note of concern are the reported dead pixels
>> that some people have encountered. Happily this has not been a problem
>> for me...............Phil
>> "Stealth" <stealth@youllneverfindme.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone have any experience with either of these two storage
>>> devices?
>>>
>>> AFAICT, the Epson looks better.
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any helpful advice.
>>>
>>> TIA-

March 26, 2005 2:31:31 AM

In message <fPY0e.195851$FM3.102727@fed1read02>
"Stealth" <stealth@youllneverfindme.com> wrote:

> I've heard the 12MP limitation has been lifted with
> the current firmware update.
>
> I'm disappointed that it can't display .TIF images...

Indeed. I guess some testing is in order.

Were any of the "flukes" addressed? Some are...

o 8.3 filename restriction on the FAT32 drive.

o Where is the missing format command? Even
if there is a condition that triggers one
silently, humor the users. (We usually know
when we MAY have messed up the file system
due to lack of documentation about the
proprietary system on the drive.)

o Are JPEG images with non-camera
EXIF fields filled-in displayed?

o Does it build thumbnails from the image,
rather than grab the often incorrect one
left in the JPEG header after editing?

o 2 extra files + subdirs for each image placed
on the drive (thumbnail and a 640x480 image).
Keep one or the other (the architecture is
too slow to eliminate both files).

o Sort the menus and place the most used
item at the top. (For galleries, that
would be Slide Show.)

o Add a "no transition" option to slide shows.

o Add a "random order" option to slide shows.

o Allow slide shows from the top level menu
on down including all sub-folders and albums.
(This covers various conditions where photos
are buried in subdirectories.)

o Did anyone else expect the 3 top menu shortcuts
to directly start slide shows?

o Reset to the "home" top menu position after
connecting as a drive to a computer. Otherwise,
remember where it was in the menus when turned on.

When shooting, the last thing you want to
do is fiddle with menus. Pressing OK as
required to copy cards would be far less
distracting.

o Get rid of the huge hourglass...it is in the
way when you are trying to make a quick review
of photos just taken. Make it smaller and put
it in a corner. The box did NOT say "Photo
Management for Dummies". In fact it requires
a lot of know-how to use it effectively.

o Since the "Display" button is unused in a
slide show, and the next image is pre-read
so transitions can be started "on time",
have the Display button display the next
image as fast as possible, no transition,
no hour glass...let the red light suffice.

Note: I only tested/use it for still photos.

There are other "programming 101" oops items and I have not done a
complete "check everything" run through of all the photo related
features. If everything was fixed, however, the P-2000 would be a
unanimous WOW experience for 99% of the users out of the box.

(Mine did not have a defective pixel.)

Technical documents like we used to get with Epson Printers would be
VERY helpful. I remember when Epson would engineer a box like this,
and then hire a creative American company to write the utilities,
menus, drivers, etc. That was usually a very productive and effective
marketing and sales methodology.

With a 20D and two 2GIG Lexar 80x cards, the P-2000 reads one full
card at the same rate you can fill the other one with photos in the
camera. (Well, you *can* fill a card faster than the P-2000 reads a
card but that's not a realistic test. One needs to breath, compose
and focus now and then. ;-)

Jeff
!